Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Passenger Cars

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#765595  by Nebtrains

Doing research for school and have a question about passenger cars. I am doing research on starting a passenger excursion train, and am researching the costs associated with it.

I want to know the best used commuter cars that are bi-level. I have looked at 8700 Pullmans as well as a few others, but I figure somebody on here would have better experience than I. I am looking at a model name and number, and then possibly where I can buy them. They would be pulled by an engine, so they don't need to be DMU's. I want each to hold 150-160 passengers.

Another big question is where can they be refurbished? If you can list out specific companies, that'd be great.

Thanks for all your help.
 #765721  by electricron

The only used bilevels commuting rail cars that are available are 8700 Pullmans from Metra (Chicago). Several transit agencies have bought some of these; Music City Star (Nashville), Virginia Railway Express and Maryland Area Regional Commuter (Washington D.C.). Utah Transit Agency (Salt Lake City) picked a few up but returned most and scrapped a few, eventually buying ex-New Jersey Transit Comet I (single level) cars. UTA just didn't like the material conditions of these cars.

I believe Trinity Railway Express (Dallas) bought all the Hawker-Siddeley built bilevels from Go (Toronto) long ago. They appear much like Bombardier bilevels, except there are hundreds of visible rivets (not 100% welds). I don't believe TRE plans to let these cars go for a long time.

I believe Iowa Pacific bought all the ex C1 LIRR bilevels for their Rio Grande Scenic Railroad. They were hoping to use them on the Ski Train this winter, but too many issues killed the train. I'm not sure if Iowa Pacific plans to keep them around without the Ski Train?

There are many train shops that can refurbish cars.