Railroad Forums 

• Comet I's Officially Retired?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#574335  by ApproachMedium

There was at least 4 trains in hoboken today with Comet I coaches in solid sets. A few of them were 6 car sets, at least one 7 car set. And ironically with PL42s.
 #574548  by Port Jervis

ApproachMedium wrote:There was at least 4 trains in hoboken today with Comet I coaches in solid sets. A few of them were 6 car sets, at least one 7 car set. And ironically with PL42s.
6-7 car sets usually operate on the Main/Bergen/PJ lines during peak hours. Looks like they are still going strong there, though last Tuesday I couldn't find a single one off-peak.
 #574748  by R36 Combine Coach

blockline4180 wrote:Over a month ago I got a response from a customer service agent stating the last set would run sometime between this Thanksgiving and New Years 2009.. Perhaps plans have changed and they are all gone now... NJT has been wrong before, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were all taken out of service already!
Either way, they would have retired five years behind schedule as they were intended to be phased by 2003 with the Comet V delivery! But even in retirement, they are getting a second lease (pun intended) on life at other agencies.
 #574856  by Uzi-Cat

I had to run the 5123 on a 6 car outfit the other night. At this point, if they are going to allow the cars to deteriorate like this, I can't wait to see them go. The cab car had so much that was wrong with it, it was a total disaster to run. I miss the way they used to run. They were really good cars.

So far the 5123 is on a 6 car set and the 5107 and 5131 are out there as well.
 #574915  by blockline4180

wpdj61 wrote:I had to run the 5123 on a 6 car outfit the other night. At this point, if they are going to allow the cars to deteriorate like this, I can't wait to see them go. The cab car had so much that was wrong with it, it was a total disaster to run. I miss the way they used to run. They were really good cars.

So far the 5123 is on a 6 car set and the 5107 and 5131 are out there as well.
Such a shame!!

So the 5120 and 5128 are now retired for good??
 #575779  by Port Jervis

R36 Combine Coach wrote:All 30 Comet I-Bs have been withdrawn from service since late July.
Is it just me, or did these cars seem to be in better shape than the Comet I's? They certainly had superior A/C.
 #575865  by Jtgshu

Ugh - how could you like a Comaro more than a C1? hahah
 #575933  by Silverliner II

TDowling wrote:I've never been inside a I-B, come to think of it. Photos?
Somebody called for a Comaro interior photo? Ask and ye shall receive.....car 5227, as from my cell phone!
NJT 5227 Interior.JPG
NJT 5227 Interior.JPG (141.95 KiB) Viewed 2536 times
 #575966  by Kaback9

Chessie GM50 wrote:I've never quite understood the reasoning behind the smaller outer seat. Where are they going now? AMT, scrap heap, Septa?
Septa is getting some I believe but they have yet to get down to PA yet.