Railroad Forums 

• Coca Cola (Canada Dry), Maspeth

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1397149  by R36 Combine Coach

On aerials there is a former spur into the Coke bottling plant in Maspeth off the Montauk Branch. There is also a paved crossing with markings on 58 Street. The 1966 freight diagrams have the siding as "Canada Dry". What deliveries were made here?

This is the largest Coke facility in the NY area and is the only producer of Dansani bottled water in the region (basically bottled NYC Municipal water).
 #1397159  by freightguy

I think the siding was know as Metropolitan Industries. Before Manhattan Beer took over Coors shipments, I believe that was the last active customer on that siding.

NY& Atlantic marketing tried to get Coca-Cola for shipments of corn syrup in 2000's, but no avail. I want to say that switch is ripped out now....
 #1397168  by 4behind2

Switch is long gone. Manhattan Beverage took four to five cars of Coors beer a week in insulated boxcars. They were the last consignees on the siding.

Farther into the siding was Manufacture's Corrugated "north side" that received paper for boxes (?) The south side siding in the old team yard took the bulk of their cars.
 #1397430  by nyandw

Maspeth: http://www.trainsarefun.com/NYA/maspeth/NYA-Maspeth.htm

Canada Dry at spot #7 LIRR map 1966
"...Track configurations are different of course in 2009; the LIRR map is 1966.
Example: Sidings in blue are long gone, paved over. Info: Bernie Ente..."

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrtr ... Erlitz.pdf
LIRR 1986 map shows Coca Cola at spot #7

Here's the aerial:

Borden Ave. entrance View S.

Agree with Wintower; 30+ years back <1986
 #1397442  by DogBert

There's still some remnants of the switch on the montauk tracks just inside the fence off rust street - crossties and a little bit of rail.
 #1397451  by rr503

Streetview also shows crossing markings on 58th street, and aerial view shows the telltale trace of rails on their property.
Side note, but did Canada Dry ever get service at their current facility on Rust Street?
 #1563919  by R36 Combine Coach

NYA removed the 58 Street crossing, July 2005 (Queens Chronicle).

NYA president Fred Krebs claims to have "no choice", without a company shipping on the line, rebuilding
it was out of the question.
Until this week, Maspeth community activists held out hope that the Coca-Cola plant at 59-02
Borden Avenue—which bottles some 35 million cases of products a year—would resume shipments
by rail, rather than truck.

“I can’t invest all that money for a crossing I’ve never used,” Krebs said. “We’ll pull it out and pave it
over and that will be the end of it.”

Since 1997, when NYAR took over the Long Island Rail Road’s freight division, the company has
been trying to convince Coca-Cola to resume shipments by rail, according to Krebs.

Bob Lanz, vice president of communications for Coca-Cola, said its been more than 20 years since
the company used the rail line. To revive it was not feasible because of the amount of work that
would be necessary to make the crossing operational. “There were a number of logistical
issues,” he said.

Two weeks ago, Coca-Cola definitively said no to shipping by rail, a decision that disappointed not
only Krebs, but some Maspeth residents, because of the environmental benefits of shipping by rail.
According to Kampermann and Krebs, between 6 and 9 trucks a day, or 2,500 trucks a year bring
syrup to the plant for bottling.

Once the rails are removed and the ground is paved over, it would be expensive for Coca-Cola to
reverse its decision, since rebuilding the crossing could cost as much as $750,000. Tony Nunziato,
vice president of the Maspeth Chamber of Commerce: “If Coke really wants to be the real thing,
this isn’t the way to go.”
Update: the site has been sold to Home Depot for a future store, which would not begin work until after the Coca-
Cola lease ended in March 2020.
 #1563958  by freightguy

I could be wrong, but I think Home Depot is built. I'm sure local residents are thrilled about more consumer and truck traffic in the area. I would be willing to bet the bottling moved out to PA or near Albany? Like Manhattan Beer in Wyandanch they would want an active crossing with gates and flashers. Obviously both never materialized.
 #1564011  by gamer4616

freightguy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:48 am I think the siding was know as Metropolitan Industries.
Going through some maps I have, the switch to Metropolitan Industries was removed sometime between April 2011 and May 2013.