Railroad Forums 

• CN Picton Ontario

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#974107  by glenfieldwestern

As a novice railfan I took a picture of the CN spur crossing at White Chappel Road on the Picton line. This picture was in the summer of 1980 and the spur was out of service with grass/shrubbery growing up in the ROW. My apologies for not linking or including the picture but I'm new to this board and am still trying to get familiar with how to post.

The spur went to an dock which during the 1970's was very actively used to load boats with ore. Ore pellets that spilled from the railcars were evident as a reddish-brown covering on the ballast at the road crossing. The spur connected with the track from Picton which ended at a cement plant a mile or so from this spur. The track to the cement plant was in use into the 1990's but is since gone. I haven't been successful in locating online information about when the CN Picton Ontario line was torn up and was wondering if any members might know the details. Information about the ore dock and how it was served by CN would be interesting too.
 #974183  by Ken V

The CN line from Belleville to Picton was known as the Marmora Spur. I don't know exactly when the line was finally abandoned but I believe it was sometime around 1997 or 1998.