• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Ken W2KB

bystander wrote:I wonder if thjey really want to run trains down in cape May. The theifts were over a year and a half ago and the crooks and scrapyard got caught. They are supposed to paying for damage. The carstoreing money could have been used to fix the rails but got new lites at crossings. There was no trains at Easter. Maybe the just got tiered.
It may be that anyone allegedly involved in the theft other than potentially a scrapyard owner has no ability to pay a significant amount of restitution, and it is uncertain as to an owner as we would not privy to his or the scrapyard's financial condition. The cost of defending the charges is likely considerable and reduces funds available for restitution.

Has anyone seen any publicity that indicates that the alleged theft has been plea bargained or set for trial?
  by Ken W2KB

Thanks. I suspected that might be the case, given the elapsed time. Guess that the scrapyard escaped unscathed. Does not bode well for track repairs.
  by northjerseybuff

Maybe Mr. Voll and others would enjoy using the current train line if trains ran!
How many trains have been to cape may in the last 4 years?
  by prr60

northjerseybuff wrote:Maybe Mr. Voll and others would enjoy using the current train line if trains ran!
How many trains have been to cape may in the last 4 years?
I think the answer is 36.

CMSL operated round trips between Rio Grande and Cape May in late summer of 2010: three round trips a day, four days a week (Tuesday to Friday), for three weeks - August 16 to September 2. That was the first operation into Cape May after the end of service in 2005, and there has not been any operation into Cape May since (not counting the speeders last summer). CMSL is a perplexing operation.
  by mgdemarco

Add to the list the Cape Cod Central Railroad.

The articles on the rail trail say it will use the Atlantic City Electric right of way.
  by bystander

Is the Cape May doing the Santa trains this year? I see Black river; Wilington and Western, Strassburg and Westchestr all have something for the Holiday on thier Websites. Or is it to early to advertise?
  by David

"David wrote--
There are reasons for the delays that are not the business of the sideline observers of this or any thread on New Jersey Railfan."

Meghan wrote--
"Are you part of an inner circle which has access to secret information? We're talking about what can be seen from the street and read in the newspaper. The services once promised for the 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons were not delayed. They simply didn't happen."

Could be, however, the reasons for the 2011, 2012, and 2013 seasons were delayed for various reasons; mainly the need for repairs to the vandalized segments of the railroad. This was clear to see. This could be seen from the street and was in the newspapers. When delays happen, for reasons such as mentioned above, the delays to rail service "simply happen".
  by bystander

The tie paltes were stole in 2012. They didn't make it so that they couldnt have trains in Cape may in 2011. Why didn't tney run in 2011 whne the track to get there was still good? He has a nice train when it runs, but he cant be making any money with it just sitting aronud.
  by chuchubob

bystander wrote:The tie paltes were stole in 2012. They didn't make it so that they couldnt have trains in Cape may in 2011. Why didn't tney run in 2011 whne the track to get there was still good? He has a nice train when it runs, but he cant be making any money with it just sitting aronud.
I found this on an obscure message board; perhaps it will shed some light on your question:
no 2011 Cape May service
  by NJT4272

Noticed something curious on Cape May Seashore Lines' Facebook page.

Just about an hour ago, they posted a link encouraging their followers to subscribe to their 'newsletter'.

Conventional logic would suggest that they might be planning on releasing some information soon. Why alert people to sign up for your newsletter if you're not going to populate it with some sort of news?

Notice I said 'Conventional Logic' though..........

https://www.facebook.com/CapeMaySeashoreLines

Its the first post on their Facebook page since June 19th of this year.
  by rrbluesman

I saw the Facebook newsletter link too,caught my eye, but it's probably just going to describe the seasonal Santa Trains. I'll be interested if it describes anything else.
  by NJT4272

rrbluesman wrote:I saw the Facebook newsletter link too,caught my eye, but it's probably just going to describe the seasonal Santa Trains. I'll be interested if it describes anything else.
Well at least a Santa train announcement is better than the silence we've had for how many months now?
  by Jeff Smith

Locked for review by Site Admin; do not start another topic. Thanks for your patience; I hope to reopen this shortly.
  by Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith wrote:Locked for review by Site Admin; do not start another topic. Thanks for your patience; I hope to reopen this shortly.
Thanks for your patience. We're coming to I hope either a final resolution or at least decision on resuming discussion. For those who've wondered why it's locked, I can't get into any details, but trust me when I say that scenic and tourist lines cause me the worst, if not the most, trouble on here.

Best,

Jeff