• CMSL service Rio Grande to Cape May

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by bluedash2

When I asked about any Tuckahoe to Richland trips this year, I was told probably a few weeks in October plus the Santa trains but they are putting ALL efforts into getting into Cape May first, hopefully this summer. Nothing set in stone but that is what the goal is.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

bluedash2 wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:Any plans to run into Cape May this year?
Yes. As of now, they are putting all of their efforts to get into Cape May sometime this summer. That track theft really hurt though.
Did they catch who stole the track materials ?
  by glennk419

U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner wrote:
bluedash2 wrote:
Yes. As of now, they are putting all of their efforts to get into Cape May sometime this summer. That track theft really hurt though.
Yes, the perps and the scrap dealer were all caught and charged. I do not know if the case ever went to trial or what restitution was ever ordered, if any.
  by U.V.#200 GE70 Tonner

glennk419 wrote:
bluedash2 wrote:
Yes, the perps and the scrap dealer were all caught and charged. I do not know if the case ever went to trial or what restitution was ever ordered, if any.
They should sue all involved,whether it be a garnishment,judgement against property,anything to recoup some of the money to replace what was stolen.Scumbag thieves anyways!
  by Ken W2KB

glennk419 wrote:
bluedash2 wrote:
They should sue all involved,whether it be a garnishment,judgement against property,anything to recoup some of the money to replace what was stolen.Scumbag thieves anyways!
In criminal cases there is typically an order for restitution. So paying an attorney to sue in civil court is not necessary, unless the defendants are tried and found not guilty in the criminal proceeding. Then civil litigation could be considered.

In most theft cases like this there are no assets - the thieves are "judgment proof." Since the scrapyard owner is implicated, there is some hope for a plea including realizable restitution.
  by dlagrua

Repairing the one mile of track that was damaged is certainly a daunting proposition. I guess that with enough time, labor and money anything can be done and I certainly wish CMSL the very best. They have faced many many obstacles throughout their existence and have been able to overcome them. If they overcome this most recent obstacle then I would say that they are here to stay.
IMO there may be hope to successfully sue for restitution from the scrap dealer and if the thieves owned property the CMSL can go after that as well. I wish them the very best in getting to Cape May City again in the near future. Having the railroad stop there is good for tourism and keeps the hope alive that one day in the future we will see passenger service there again.
  by northjerseybuff

Why doesn't the insurance cover the costs to repair the stolen track equipment?
  by Ken W2KB

Trainlawyer wrote:
northjerseybuff wrote:Why doesn't the insurance cover the costs to repair the stolen track equipment?

This type of loss is generally not covered by the standard railroad policies and when such coverage has been written either the premiums or the deductible are high enough that obtaining the coverage is simply not worthwhile. When we looked into this for a client a couple years ago it made more sense to put the premiums into a savings account.
GME
Since NJT owns the track, would CMSL as lessee have an insurable interest in it? In general, can a lessee insure for property damage a lessor's property, or is the lessee limited to liability coverage for damage caused by the lessee's negligence? Never came across an instance of this issue.
  by dlagrua

It's true that NJT owns the track and the ROW but as a leased tenent I am not certain if CMSL or NJT is responsible for track repair work. The thieves damaged NJT track so who sues? Not being a lawyer I do not understand all the legalities nor anything about the lease arrangement. Hopefully it is such that NJT foots the bill. If so they have equipment that can fix the line in one day but I doubt that they will . I guess that it all falls on the CMSL s shoulders.
  by nickrapak

I was driving down the shore this weekend and I saw what looked like diesel smoke coming out by the Tuckahoe station. Maybe an indicator of something to come?
  by bluedash2

nickrapak wrote:I was driving down the shore this weekend and I saw what looked like diesel smoke coming out by the Tuckahoe station. Maybe an indicator of something to come?
Conrail occasionaly brings cars down there for CMSL to store temporarily. It has been done recently which is why you may have saw what you did.....
  by northjerseybuff

Well its July 11th, so with no summer schedule posted, I think this summer season is not looking good.
Maybe in 2014
  by glennk419

nickrapak wrote:I was driving down the shore this weekend and I saw what looked like diesel smoke coming out by the Tuckahoe station. Maybe an indicator of something to come?
RJ Corman has been doing track work around Tuckahoe and Dorothy. There were several hi-rail trucks and other equipment parked at Tuckahoe this past weekend, along with piles of ties at Tuckahoe and a stack of stick rail at the 1st Avenue crossing off of Tuckahoe Road. The smoke you saw may have been related to that or CMSL may have been shifting some equipment around.

As an aside, the Google Maps aerial shot of Tuckahoe has been recently updated and gives a pretty accurate picture of the equipment currently residing there.
  by Dcell

How much does Macrie pay NJT to lease this rail line? Betcha it's $1/year. Such a deal for a foamer! Cheaper than a Lionel train set, though a Lionel set would rack up more miles of use in a year compared to Tony's Toy Railroad.
  by lv414

Why worry about running trains when you can make money storing cars on the Cape May Storage Lines