Railroad Forums 

• China Export Coal

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#900504  by Gilbert B Norman

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/15/us/15coal.html

Brief passage;

• SEATTLE — A plan to build the United States’ first West Coast facility for exporting coal to Asia has come under increased scrutiny after the disclosure of documents suggesting that the company proposing the project did not convey the full scope of its plans to state regulators here in Washington.

The project, which would be built on the Columbia River in Longview, Wash., received preliminary approval from Cowlitz County commissioners late last year but has been delayed by a legal challenge by environmentalists.

They claim that supporters of the facility — which would transfer coal brought by train from Montana and elsewhere to barges bound for China and other parts of Asia — have not adequately measured the pollution that could be caused by shipping the coal and then burning it overseas.
Could UP be in a position to handle such movements competitively with BNSF; it appears that access to the Powder River fields for both roads were built Eastward shipments in mind. If so, what would be the likely routing?

Of course, insofar as the environmentalists are concerned, there will be no routing. But so far as I'm concerned, America has more coal than the Arabs hav oil; so lets dig it - and ship it by rail!!

"We can handle it".

disclaimer: author holds long position in UNP
 #900903  by slchub

http://www.commodities-now.com/news/pow ... rates.html

From what I understand China has been buying coal from the US and other sources for awhile. I spoke to a rep. at one of the coal mines in Utah (picking up a coal train when I worked for the UP) a few years ago and he stated that China was buying coal and dumping it at ports on their coastline to store it for future needs. Makes you wonder what they are up to? I'm not so sure I'm happy to hear that we are exporting "our" resources out to another country only to find that we may need those same resources down the road for future generations. Money talks, common sense does not.
 #903073  by Gadfly

I am not a rail buff, but I think we should renew the ACE project of the 80's, get us OFF foreign oil, use our OWN coal to power US, and let OPEC eat their own oil!~ I think the ACE project showed potential, but was stopped simply because of the plunge in oil prices at that time. Maybe its time to look at it again? Maybe there has been advances in Diesel technology, but it STILL uses oil. What if we (railroads) suddenly QUIT buying their stupid oil and burned OUR plentiful coal? Period.

GF