Railroad Forums 

• Chevy Silverado HD Commercial

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#367546  by Engineer James

Ya'll have probably seen that commercial featuring a Silverado HD Hauling the 20-30 car freight train. Now, I am amazed if they did it without help.... However, the auto rack shown with the trucks is from the 60's atleast, and its open. There are several side dump cars, boxcars and tankers. Kinda angered me. Says to me, why use trains when you could use a truck......

But, a couple questions arise:

#1> Where was it filmed?
#2> Who rented out the equipment?
#3> Was there a hidden diesel at the end of the train?
#4> How did they keep the tires ont he rails? (Note the tires on the innerside of the rear axles are on!!!)

Note too that GM Sold EMD a few months back...... what does that say? Now, we don't produce em' we can compete against em'. They are fighting themselves pretty much! :-D Why do that when Class 1 railroads still run your equipment. Unless they are trying to show heritage?

#367579  by keeper1616

it was probably filmed with a locomotive pulling the cars then post processed the locomotive out and put the chevy in.

#367617  by Engineer James

Thats what my origional thought was....

#367741  by 262

Even if the film was doctored,it is plausable.I have pushed empty bulk head flats,and 50 Ft. box cars on level track using just my own strength.Modern roller bearings give little resistance.I have seen Herzog and Florida East Coast Railway pull strings of loaded gons with crossties and ballast hoppers using a hi-rial truck.There was a photo on the old Railroad Net of a shortline that used a diesel truck tractor to pull trains in revenue service.

#367967  by Engineer James

ok, maybe it is plauseable... still I just do not get it......

#369205  by ExEMDLOCOTester

If the Silverado is a 4 wd, in low range, pickup bed full of some kind of weight, and the cars are empty..... Its doable.
 #511865  by Conrail Tweety

The track gauge would have been well over 4'8.5" for the tires to be centered on the rails using standard wheels.

(Think about how much wheel offset is required to skinny the width on a similar Hi-Rail unit in order to get rubber on the rail.)
 #622670  by Engineer Spike

My former trainmaster was a big Ford fan. He was formerly a machinist, and mechanical dept. supervisor. He worked on mostly Alcos at St. Luc Shops, Montreal. One time he came in his own Ford to pick me up. He got it stuck in the snow. I have a Chevy K2500HD. I told him that I would walk up to the yard office because I have a good EMD, which could pull out his Alco-Ford. That went over like a fart in church. While I was getting the truck, he shoveled like crazy, just so he would not have to be pulled out by a Chevy.
At work I call the EMDs, Chevys. I just don't like the new GE AC4400 engines we have. I always had better luck with the old SD40s. Yesterday was a good example. I had 2 AC4400s, in the snow. They kept slipping, and reducing power. We almost stalled. I told my conductor that a set of 4 SD40s would take more tonnage, and pull it easier, even in these conditions. He agreed!
 #627481  by mrconductor55

I Imagine it being doable. There is a video on youtube of a 2wd Dodge 1 ton truck (it wasn't a pickup) pulling a standard gauge steam locomotive(a small tank engine) in reverse up a ramp onto a semi trailer. Pulleys were involved, the truck was on mud, and it moved the engine without a problem until it was on the incline, and it lost traction, then a hefty tow truck (the ones that they tow semi trucks and city busses with came and did the job.

Also, look at how many industries use Caterpillar and john deere equipment to move railcars around.
 #627665  by GSC

The disclaimers say not to attempt this, professional driver, closed course, etc.

What's my reason to buy this vehicle if I won't be allowed to do what you are showing me it can do?