Railroad Forums 

• Champaign-Urbana, IL

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#699014  by atsf sp

How many trains go through here every day? Is it only CN and NS? How close are the tracks to the U.Illinois campus? Are there and where are the yards? Where is the best spot to railfan?
 #699022  by Rockingham Racer

atsf sp wrote:How many trains go through here every day? Is it only CN and NS? How close are the tracks to the U.Illinois campus? Are there and where are the yards? Where is the best spot to railfan?
The tracks are about 3/4 mile to the west of center campus IIRC. I can't answer the freight train volume question, but in addition to the freights there are 6 Amtrak trains stopping there each day.
 #704032  by Hudson Terminus

Champaign-Urbana, by itself, isn't a very easy place to watch trains. The downtown depot's platform is open only to ticketed passengers, though you can get a pretty decent view of all rail traffic as passes the Champaign Police Department's parking lot on 1st street. CN/ex-IC is the dominant player here, but as previously mentioned, Amtrak comes through as well. CN's yard is in a bad area of town and viewing of it isn't possible from any good spot without trespassing. Better left alone. NS runs a local through Urbana a few times a week, but I've seen it only a handful of times. It runs usually with one loco and a short string of cars.

If it's frequency you want, you'll want to head out of town a few miles. Tolono is 8 miles south of the twin cities and features a diamond of the CN line with NS. Viewing is pretty good there, though railroad employees aren't too fond of people walking on or too near the tracks. Probably see 50+ trains here per 24 hours, which is better than anything else within 30 minutes of C-U. Tuscola's diamond may have similar totals per 24 hours, but in my experience there, that location is either hot or dead. Tolono seems to stay pretty steady. Route 45 is a good one for pacing trains in that area between the towns. Sidney has both UP and NS running through, crossing each other just east of town.

Send me a personal message if you'd like more detailed info.
 #706593  by atsf sp

I went to the area and saw the yard from a public road and stopped where it said private property. Saw a local with two engines, and one UP unit.
 #752012  by philipmartin

I was in Champaign Urbana for one semester in 1954. The IC still had steam on freights, as well as GP7s or 9s. Homecoming day the IC ran so many trains down from Chicago, they had to use freight steam engines for two of them. Naturally I made my way to the roundhouse, and a friendly fireman told me a lot about the railroad. The Peoria and Eastern also ran through town, and the Illinois Terminal originated there . I made one bicycle trip to Tolono to see the Wabash, but there weren't any trains while I was there. Photography was no problem in those days.
 #922612  by painterman

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn for the NRHS convention. Yesterday I parked on Oak Street and watched the trains go by. Local maintenance crews saw me and waved. They didn't seem to mind me being there. It looks like it's all abandoned businesses along that street. Just park on the grass on the railroad side of the street. It's a public street - and there's no posted signs saying no parking there - so it should be OK. If the law tells me to move on - I will.

The other side of the tracks looks like a pretty rough part of town - but if you use common sense and stay aware - you'll be fine. I got some good pics of some IC/CN power - and a BC rail engine - but the BC Rail pics came out too dark - as it was 6pm and overcast.

I'll go back out there today and see what I can find.

Coming from NJ - all we ever see is CSX/NS traffic. Occasionally we get some UP/BNSF power - but we rarely ever see CN. So this is a treat for me!