Railroad Forums 

• Central New York RR to lease NS Southern Tier

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#80077  by scottychaos

and why are they called "Central NY RR" when they are nowhere near Central NY?! ;)
still..sounds cool! a new railroad in town is always interesting!

Scot
 #80119  by henry6

CNY...like from Richfield Jct to Richfield Springs under the ownership of the Delaware-Otsego System, owner of the NYS&W?

#80285  by Train140

It's the NYS&W, which will now operate the Tier east of Binghamton.

#80360  by SRS125

According to the SVP R.R. Atlas the Central New York Railroad is gone along with the track. Could it be that it is only knowen on paper?

#80414  by Angus202

Yep, this is the NYS&W, though I'm not sure how this other road ties into it. There's been much talk at the Susquehanna how this stretch will be turned into dark territory and eventually being running "SU-101" & "SU-102" road trains, making a north->south and return trip daily. Should be interesting in the next year.

-Ryan

#80431  by Pj

I got this off a local (to me for the moment) yahoo group:
Effective December 31 the Central New York Railroad Company will be leasing Norfolk Southern's Southern Tier Line between Port Jervis, N.Y. (milepost 89.9) and Binghamton, N.Y. (milepost 213.0). It will also be responsible for all maintenance. The Central New York will provide all local freight service, while Norfolk Southern will retain overhead trackage rights. Also, the NYS&W will continue to retain trackage rights. The NS is allowing the Central New York Railroad to remove lineside signals. This is dependent upon Federal Railroad Administration approval. Also, the NS will allow the Central New York Railroad to remove the second main track, between mileposts 178 and 190. The Central New York will establish an interchange with NS at Binghamton, N.Y. The railroad's president is Gerard McKenna .
I was going to ask you guys if you knew anything about this..so I guess its good timing. Know any signal maintainers? :) I know when I move up there next week, I'll be watching the local signals when they take over :)

#80504  by rcbsd45

So if I understand this correctly, aside from all the legal-ese, the CNYRR is a named owned by the DO, the parent of the NYSW. The CNY was a part of the DO several years ago, and as i understand it most of the 22 miles are torn up. So in effect, the NS, which has a partial ownership stake in the DO/NYSW, is in effect leasing the railroad back to itself via a paper corpration with no discernable assets. Sounds like the lawyers had some creative thinking involved in coming up with this little paper trail! Recall that DO/NYSW also created(reactived the name anyway) of the Syracuse, Binghamton, New York Railroad to facilitate its OnTrack RDC ops in the Syracuse area.One benefit to the DO was that as a seperate company, they were not bound by any exsisting labor agreements Between the BLET and the DO/NYSW, hence the SBNY is a non union operation, which allows a fair amout of liberal work practices that the railroad would otherwise be bound by. Walter's no dummy, and the BLET knows it.

#80723  by David Hutchinson

Seems that the Central New York, because of it's "size" will have state and federal grants available for track work that NS could not qualify for. I cannot see Walter Rich doing this unless something else is coming up........... maybe some type of deal with Canadian National? As stated, he's a pretty shrewd businessman. Was told today that the signals will remain for a period of one year, due to a federal rule.

#80737  by O-6-O

This line just begs for a steam tourist train. Starrucca, Gulf, and that
view along the Delaware are you kidding? Dare to dream!!! Hey it's
Christmas.

STEAM ON (the erie)
/--OOO--;-oo--oo-

#80740  by David Hutchinson

The railroad that cries for an excursion operation is the Middletown and New Jersey. Would cost a lot, but the tracks are intact all the way from Middletown to the New Jersey border............. it's a beautiful line.

#81127  by GVrooman

Here are the excruciating details of the agreement:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ ... enDocument

It looks like a great deal for the NS. The CNY RR takes over maintenance and is only allowed to interchange with the NS. I am not sure what the CNY gets out of it. Is there that much local freight between Binghamton and Port Jervis? The agreement does preserve the line for the use of the NYS&W who would be up the creek if the line was ever abandoned. Interesting.

#81311  by The Rising

The Central New York is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Susquehanna. The Susie-Q now controls the dispatching, maintenance, and operation on the line.

The restrictions on interchange are minimal at best, since there is not that much local business on the line anyway.

The primary advantage to the Susquehanna is it's ability to control the line for additional Susie Q traffic.

Incidently, Mr. McKenna is one of Walt Rich's fellow officers.

Here's to more yellow jackets on the tier! :-D

Later all.......

#81319  by sodusbay

Pardon a naive question -- but does this "dark territory" w/o a passing track (is that near Susquehanna, PA?) mean that only one train can be on the entire PJ - Bingo section at one time? How do train orders work in "dark territory"?