Railroad Forums 

• Catskill Mountain Railroad

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#29773  by JPhurst

On the old forum, a few people asked about this line. This is a tourist line that runs over what was part of the Ulster and Delaware RR line. I believe the original line went from Kingston, NY to Oneonta, NY. For several years they have run a tourist line from Mount Pleasant to Phoenicia. They have been talking about extending the line further east, eventually to Kingston, but it has been plagued by delays.

They finally will be extending the railroad to as far east as Boiceville, although I don't think one will be able to actually board at that stop. I was at the Empire State Railway Museum in Phoenicia, and they said that the extended service will be up in a couple of weeks!

http://www.catskillmtrailroad.com/about_us.htm

#31180  by Otto Vondrak

Railroad was opened by CMRR in the 1980s from Phonecia to Mount Pleasant. Work has been completed on the Route 28 grade crossing, and now they can continue south to the Boiceville Trestle (where a millions-of-dollars washout prevents any further southward progress).

Other trackage in Kingston is operated by Kingston Trolley Museum. Trackage from Highmount to Roxbury is operated by Delaware & Ulster Rail Ride.

http://www.catskillmtrailroad.com/about_us.htm

-otto-

#33982  by JPhurst

I was up there this weekend and stopped by to find out if the Boiceville ride was ready yet. They said three more weeks.

#34294  by Otto Vondrak

The impression I got is that the ride will be down to Cold Brook, just short of the Boiceville trestle washout. I think they were aiming for a September start-up, but I have no official information on that. Closer and closer to Kingston!

-otto-

#55277  by JPhurst

When I was last up there in the first week of September, they had still not opened up the Boiceville extension, apparently it still needs to be inspected. I don't know if they have opened it since then. I believe they close down for the season October 31st, so time is running out for the extension this year.

#65638  by JPhurst

The extension finally opened up in October. I had a chance to take it. A pleasant enough ride. I'm always driving up and down this section of Rte 28, so it's kind of nice to go "off road" and check out some of the scenery.

Now if they could just extend it all the way to Kingston....