• Catskill Mountain Railroad (CMRR) Discussion - 2017

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by eehiv

Friday August 25th

Vince Guido and Earl Pardini moved the tamper to Westbrook Lane. Mark Glaser did work around the station.

Saturday August 26th

Engineer was Dave Hilliard. Conductor was Neil Isabelle. Brakeman was Tony Bocchino. Flaggers were Martin Elbrecht and Freddy Ehren. Car Attendant was Ed Winstanley. Ticket agents were Marcia Roosa and assisted by John Prestopino and Linda Marino.

A tamping crew tamped near MP6. Crew consisted of John Marino, Earl Pardini, Mark Glaser, Tom Whyte and Vince Guido.

Joe Wolff worked on the side dump and box car in Phoenicia.

I continued work on the roof of the 703 in Phoenicia.

Sunday August 27th

Joe Wolff finished work on the side dump in Phoenicia.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday September 2nd

We ran three trains Saturday and had over 350 passengers. Train crew; Engineer was Tom Whyte and conductor was John Prestopino. Brakeman was Karl wick. Flaggers were Steve Stanton, Dave Hilliard, Tony Bocchino and Harrison Baulduf. Alex Sorenson helped out. Ticket agent was Peter Fluchere assisted by Marcia Roosa and Pat Smalley. Station maintenance was done by Mark Glaser.

Ernie Klopping and Martin Elbrecht worked on Coach 2949's generator.

Earl Pardini, John Marino and Vince Guido worked at the O & W siding with assistance from Al Schoessow.

I worked on extending power to the boxcar in Phoenicia. Hunter Downie and Joe Wolff weed-wacked the PA yard. as well as Art Vogel.

Sunday Sepetember 3rd

Harrison Balduf worked in the PA yard.

Monday September 4th

Earl Pardini, John Marino and Vince Guido worked at the O & W siding laying out ties.

Harrison Balduf weed-wacked in the PA yard.

I continued priming 703's roof.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Friday, September 8th

On Friday Coach 2918 arrived and was offloaded successfully at Route 209. Many thanks to Earl Pardini, Al Schoessow, John Marino and others who helped out. The car is now parked east of Westbrook lane and will become an office for the railroad (short term) and eventually a table car for the CMRR.

Saturday, September 9th

Crew did some switching to set 2918 to the east end of track and also configure the work train. Crew consisted of Earl Pardini, John Marino, John Prestopino, Dave Hillard, Martin Elbrecht, and Shawn Newton. Crew also removed OTM from Westbrook.

John Prestopino also led a crew painting the 40 foot passenger flat. He was joined by new volunteers Waldo and Michael Lechicky, also Joe Wolff.

In Phoenicia, Al Johnson and I covered and filled many holes in the 703's roof. Harrison Balduf worked on caboose 697.

Sunday, September 10th

In Kingston, Joe Wolff, John Prestopino, Shawn Newton continued painting the 40 foot passenger flat. John Marino and Dave Hilliard also helped out.

I worked in the Phoenicia yard on the 703 and Harrison Balduf worked on coach 697.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Tuesday, September 12th

John Prestopino and Chris Burtt continued work painting the 40 foot flat in Kingston.

Thursday, September 14th

The Riegel ballast regulator/broom ran in Kingston exposing ties past Washington Avenue. Earl Pardini and Vince Guido assisted.

Friday, September 15th

The Riegel ballast regulator/broom ran in Kingston exposing ties past the C9 bridge almost to 209. Earl Pardini and Vince Guido assisted. Harrison Balduf weed-wacked the O&W switch.

Saturday, September 16th

Earl Pardini and John Marino marked 782 ties Saturday. Al Schossow led a crew removing OTM at the Kingston Plaza. Crew consisted of Peter Fluchere Russ Hallock, John Marino and Martin Elbrecht. Vince Guido assisted.

John Prestopino also led a crew painting the 40 foot passenger flat. He was joined by Joe Wolff.

Dave Hilliard worked on the new conduits under the passenger coaches. Art Vogel worked on the tamper and scarifier.

In Phoenicia, I covered and filled many holes in the 703's roof and continued priming. Harrison Balduf worked on caboose 697.

Sunday, September 17th

John Marino worked with the tie vendor to lay out 950 ties for replacement on the ROW, including several timbers for the O&W switch.

I worked in the Phoenicia yard on the 703 and Harrison Balduf worked on coach 697.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Monday September 18th

Today the CMRR inserted 100 ties at Kingston plaza between Westbrook and Fair Street and spiked 60 of them. Helping from the CMRR were Scott S., Hunter Downie, John Marino, Al Schoessow, Vince Guido, and Earl Pardini.

Tuesday September 19th

Today the CMRR inserted 110 ties at Kingston plaza to about halfway between Fair Street and Dutch village. Crew were Scott S. and John Marino.

Wednesday September 20th

Today the CMRR, inserted 91 ties from Kingston plaza to the O&W switch. Crew were Scott S., John Marino, Dave Hilliard and Earl Pardini.

Thursday September 21st

Today the CMRR, inserted 110 ties from the O&W switch almost to Washington Avenue. Crew were Scott S., John Marino, Dave Hilliard, Al Schoessow, Tom Whyte and Earl Pardini.

Tamping was completed to west of Fair Street, and spiking continued east of Fair Street.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Friday September 22nd

CMRR Crew inserted 35-40 ties. Crew consisted of Scott S., John Marino, Tom Whyte, Shawn Newton and Al Schoessow, and they spiked about 30 ties.

Saturday September 23rd

Crew spiked about 30 ties and tamped about 40 the crew consisted of John Marino, Al Schoessow, Fred Ehren, Russ Hallock and Martin Albrecht.

Joe Wolff continued work on the 401 repaint. Shawn Newton assisted.

John Prestopino and Shawn Newton continued painting on the 40' flat.

Martin Elbrecht and Dave Hilliard continued working on the new conduits under the 2940.

I worked on the 703 in Phoenicia and Harrison Balduf worked on the 697.

Sunday September 24th

Joe Wolff continued work on the 401 repaint.

Vince Guido and Shawn Newton cleaned up ties at Kingston Plaza.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Friday September 29th

Today's crew consisted of John Marino, Earl Pardinni, Al Schoessow, Vince Guido, Alex Sorenson and Russ Hallock. Vince, Russ and Alex cleaned up ties in the morning. Al and John and Earl put the decal on 401 then all went out west of 209 and installed three ties, tamped and checked gauge from C-9 to Farmers crossing. All ties cleaned up from Westbrook to Fair Street.

Saturday September 30th

Saturday's crew consisted of John Marino, Earl Pardini, and Al Schoessow. They inserted one tie and spiked roughly 100. Vince Guido worked at Hurley Mountain Road.

Joe Wolff continued painting the 401. Martin Elbrecht assisted.

I worked on the 703 in Phoenicia.

Sunday October 1st

Joe Wolff continued work on the 401.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
  by airman00

Wow, that’s an incredible amount of tie replacement! Might I ask what is going on with the lightning fast track work?
  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:Might I ask what is going on with the lightning fast track work?
Some call it, "regularly scheduled maintenance."

-otto-
  by HarlemRS3

Ernie,
Do you have any new photos to post on NERAIL? I always looked forward to see progress being made.
Do you have any photos of the new tie laying project?
Thanks
  by eehiv

Friday October 6th

John Marino, Al Schoessow, Vince Guido and Shawn Newton spiked roughly 60 ties and also cleaned up tie debris.

Saturday October 7th

Earl Pardini, John Marino, Vince Guido, Shawn Newton, Russ Hallock and Al Schoessow spiked the final 75 ties from the recent tie week.

Train crew: Engineer was Tom Whyte. Conductor was John Prestopino. Brakeman was Mark Glaser. Trainman was John Marino. Flaggers were Russ Hallock and Jesse P. Special flagger and signaler was Al Schoessow. Ticket agent was Peter Fluchere assisted by Pat Smalley. Marcia Roosa and Meg Carey were car attendants. Dave Hilliard and Martin Elbrecht worked on coach 2949 assisting the welder.

Sunday October 8th

Sunday we ran 3 trains which were standing room only. Crew consisted of Engineer: John Marino
Conductor: Tyler Carelli, Brakeman: Tony Bocchino, Flaggers: Steve Stanton, Joe Wolff, Mark Glaser, Al Schoessow. Car Attendants were Jan Harrison and Linda Marino.

Joe Wolff also painted the 401.

Monday October 9th

Monday we ran three trains (11:00, 1:00 and 3:00) crew consisted of: Engineer: Earl Pardini
Conductor: Tyler Carelli, Brakeman: Karl Wick, Flaggers: Joe Wolff and Russ Hallock, John Marino and Alex Sorenson. Car Attendant: Bruce Devorkin. Ticket Agents: Pat Smalley, Peter Fluchere; Assistance provided by: Marcia Roosa.

All in all a great weekend - over 2100 passengers carried!

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
  by eehiv

Saturday October 14th

John Marino was engineer, John Prestopino was conductor, Tom Whyte was brakeman, and Fred Ehren was flagger with Al Schoessow and Mark Glaser with Jessie P. as flagger trainee. Peter Fluchere was ticket agent with Pat Smalley and Marcia Roosa. Bruce Devorkin and Meg Carey were car attendants.

Joe Wolff flagged and did brushwork at Trailways and Hurley Mountain Road.

Earl Pardini helped set out ties with Vince Guido.

Dave Hilliard and Martin Elbrecht worked on the coaches

Al Johnson worked on the 703 in Phoenicia.

Sunday, October 15th

Dave Hilliard was engineer, Hunter Downie was conductor, Karl Wick was brakeman, and John Marino and Tony Bocchino were flaggers. Jess P. was flagger trainee. Peter Fluchere was also ticket agent with Marcia Roosa.

Earl Pardini set off the remaining ties. John Marino assisted.

All in all another very successful weekend - over 1900 passengers carried! All trains were sold out.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR