Railroad Forums 

• Camera type?

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

What type of camera do you normally use for railroad photography?

35mm point and shoot
6%
35mm SLR
47%
Medium Format film
2%
Large Format film
2%
Digital point and shoot
30%
Digital SLR
13%

#7398  by pcdude9190

Nikon EM!

#8402  by Paul

Well, I am alone in the large format world. Tell you what, I settled the digital v film issue at work one night when I took a night photo of an SD70m with my 4X5 Crown Grafflex. After having the Velvia developed, the boys were stunned to see the"GE" cast in the ditch light bulb, not to mention being able to read all the writing of the stickers on the cab rear wall and also being able to read what was on the computer display.

#8449  by brunswickrailfan

I've gone digital for the most part. A hammy down Sony MV-CD1000 2.1MP camera with a 39-390mm lens with image stabilization. I will be moving up to a Digital SLR like the D70, D100,10D, or 300D becasue they all have one feature the others don't! Anywho, I have about 2500 images is 2 years and the results or amazing.

I occasionally use a Nikon FM2 with a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 and Nikkor 80-200 f/4 as well as a Canon ELAN 2e with a 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6.

#15275  by Alcoman

I will stay with 35mm SLR's. I own 2 of them; both manual.
One of them is a Pentax K1000 which I have been using for 35 plus years...Great Camara! The other is a Nikon F10.
One thing about film is that the slides I took 25 plus years ago are still good.
Gotta love that Kodak K64 film! :D

#24945  by RailBus63

pcdude9190 wrote:Nikon EM!
I thought I was the only railfan out there still using one of these cameras. Mine is 22 years old and still working - I keep it loaded with Kodachrome 200 and typically use it for telephoto or low-light shots.

My other camera is a Nikon N6006 that I bought back in 1991. I typically shoot K64 with this camera. Never been truly happy with the autofocus and exposure system, although I've learned to live with both.

Jim D.

#25007  by trainfreak

I use a point and shoot. It is a Sony DSC P8. I use it for train photo purposes and also just for hanging out. It takes some cool video which i used on my last train chase.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... spx?id=804 Thats an album of my New York Susquehanna and Western Railway photos.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/archiv ... spx?id=825 That is an album of the photos i have taken along CSX's Riverline in New Jersey.

I am still getting used to the camera because i only got it in March and since i dont get to railfan often i havent been getting much practice with it. But with the summer coming up i hope to go railfanning and train chasing a lot more.

#29833  by e44e33

Nikon F2 Photomic and sometimes a Crown Graphic 4x5