Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

#1546369  by Tadman

Recently I was looking at old pics of mine from a 2012 trip to SFO. The Caltrain terminal is a bit like an open air station, just some platforms and a modest head-house with basic coffee shops and ticket windows.

Given the price of real estate in town, have they ever considered building a Transit-oriented development there? You could build a gradiose headhouse with plenty of residential and retail outlets making money for the authority.

But perhaps those plans exist already.
 #1546485  by Gilbert B Norman

"Once upon a time in 'wine country'":

https://webbie1.sfpl.org/multimedia/sfp ... D-6016.jpg

The linked photo is the former SP Station at 3rd and Townsend. I boarded the "Coast Daylight" there during '62 and "The Lark" during '63.

I haven't been in San Francisco now over thirty yesrs, but I understand I wouldn't begin to recognize that "below Market" area if I were.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1546528  by frank754

The used to be much grander depot at 3rd & Townsend, classic architecture, that was torn down in the early 70's, and they moved to a new station one block up