Railroad Forums 

• Calling Signals

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#240662  by N221UA

I have a question about conductors calling signals.

Is it required by the railroad that calling signals is a must for ALL territories or it is only required on certain subdivsions?

I listened to certain railraod streams and noticed CP/CN called every signal on the mainline from Alberta to BC, same goes to CSX on the Riverline. But when I was listening to BNSF/UP streams, I don't recall hearing them calling out signals.

Can anyone help me on us? :wink:

#240668  by DutchRailnut

Not all systems need to call them out on radio but 99% of all railroads any or all qualified crew members in cab must call out signals to each other

#240773  by RailBus63

I've noticed CSX crews calling signals far more often these days on the Water Level Route - I assume this has something to do with Tony Ingram coming over to CSX from NS where they call signals all the time.

Jim D.

#240781  by charlie6017

I think it was late 2004 when CSX stopped much of the NORAC stuff (including answering defect detectors) and started calling out signals.

#240785  by Railjunkie

I know of an engineer who refused to call signals said it was saftey issue as it distracted him from operating the locomotive. Well that argument did not stand up and he lost his job.

I work over two different railroads which require you to call signals, one requires that all signals be called and the other requires only interlocking signals to be called. While operating in cab signal territory I find it rather redundant, as the signal system tells me what I should have on the next signal two to three miles ahead of me. Also why call only interlocking signals when the distant signal to that interlocking could be less than clear, if its an approach signal and you fail to comply and get by the red even by a couple of inches the whole crew is in the jackpot. Why not just have the rule read you must call anything other than clear.

#240874  by JLJ061

Railjunkie wrote:I know of an engineer who refused to call signals said it was saftey issue as it distracted him from operating the locomotive. Well that argument did not stand up and he lost his job.
Wow, and all this time I thought paying attention to signal aspects was a safety issue! lol

#241123  by shlustig

The calling of signals between the crew members aboard the locomotive was a standard in all of the various books of rules.

The practice of calling signals over the radio began as a result of several collisions during the investigation of which it was not possible to determine the actions and status of the various crew members aboard the locomotives. Since many of the carriers had nearly full area radio coverage, it was determined that requiring the crews to call signals over the radio would establish their condition (awake or asleep) should an incident occur. Some carriers required that all signals be called over the radio, while others required that only home signals be called. On certain portions of mainline territory with dense traffic and multiple detectors, the practice was not implemented.

#241361  by roadster

CSX former Norac territories came under CSX's current Operating Rules in October of '04 which discontinued the practice of answering the detectors. As far as calling out signals CSX Albany Division onbly requires the Home Signals or CP signals to be called out. Again in response to incresed incidents of passed Red/Stop signals. CSX as of early March, now requires the conductors to keep a log of all signals they encounter, the time they passed it and train speed. To me there is no sense in calling only the Home/CP signal. If you missed the distant signal before the home signal, by the time you see the home signal it's too late anyway. While down in Miami last year working outa Hialeah, Fla. CSX crews called All signals they past on the radio.

#241965  by ENR3870

CROR requires that the conductor and engineer call out every signal in the cab. CN special instructions also require us to call over the appropriate stand-by channel the approach signal to a controlled location(in CTC) or station mile sign(in OCS). The controlled location in CTC is the signal leaving a siding or block.

For example in CTC:(On the Yale Sub Approaching Chilliwack) "CN 105 Advanced Clear to Stop to Chilliwack"
(Arriving at Chilliwack) "CN 105 Clear to Stop at Chilliwack"
The signal leaving Chilliwack is the controlled location that we are calling signals to, and as such we don't call it.

In OCS(Occupancy Control System; our version of the Track Warrant System) "CN 546 One Mile to Squamish"

BNSF requires you to call only a restrictive signal. IE. "CN 8009 South Approach Medium at Sperling West Track 25 MPH."