Railroad Forums 

• Caldwell Branch

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#131810  by RS115

Does anyone know what customers this line had for freight? All that I have seen written about it has either been passenger related (though I need to gather that data into a useful cache of info) and that it interchanged with the Morristown & Erie at Essex Fells. I am most interested in the period 1960's through the end of the branch. Thanks

#132115  by njt4172

I have no idea on the customers, but I believe there was 1 lumber company in Verona that got cars up until 1975.......I believe a washout in June or July of 1975 put an end the Branch for good......The tracks laid dormant until 1979 or so when Conrail ripped them up.........Try posting to this group..... [email protected]

Steve

#136764  by steemtrayn

njt4172 wrote:I have no idea on the customers, but I believe there was 1 lumber company in Verona that got cars up until 1975.......I believe a washout in June or July of 1975 put an end the Branch for good......The tracks laid dormant until 1979 or so when Conrail ripped them up.........Try posting to this group..... [email protected]

Steve
Didn't Overbrook Hospital get coal deliveries?

#137373  by Idiot Railfan

The team track in Caldwell had several customers right up to the end. There was a freight house located across the tracks from the Basking Robbins on Bloomfield Ave.

I don't recall anything about a washout; in fact, I believe the team track received deliveries right up until early 1976, which resulted in a bizarre car move later in the year.

Conrail never took possession of the Caldwell Branch. It remained as part of the Erie Lackawanna Co. (which remained in business until about 10 years ago, mostly to dispose of the remaining non-rail assets and liabilities of the railroad). A car had been delivered to Caldwell by the EL in early 1976, but by the time it was ready to be picked up, Conrail had come into being, effectively stranding the car on railroad with no operating department. It remained there for a few months until an enterprising employee of the Morristown and Erie suggested rolling it downgrade the mile to the point where the M&E began in Essex Fells. I do no remember the reason why they could not just bring an engine up there. I can't imagine somebody trying something like that today!

When the tracks were torn up in 1979, it was by the Erie Lackawanna, and the property was turned over to the municipalities eventually. In fact, there was a time even in the mid 1990s, that if you stood in the right spot near Francisco Ave in Great Notch, where a few rails and ties were still in place, you technically were standing on the tracks of the Erie Lackawanna! (That all changed after the former crossing was smoothed out)
 #138804  by Matt Langworthy

According to the excellent Erie Lackawanna In Color series of books, there were 5 customers on the Caldwell Branch in the 1960s. Even though the rails were apparently heavy duty (a la mainline weights), traffic had dwindled to the point where a single GP-7 or SW12000 could handle the traffic. Whippany Paper Board was one of the customers, receiving both boxcars and coal hoppers. The final picture, taken in 1975, shows how the traffic at Verona had dwindled even further, so future abandonment doesn't seem suprising.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #146838  by atlpete

Recently had a chance to run the trail which picks up the line at Fairview Ave in Verona. Most everything south is totally gone/built on save for some rail still in the crossing near the site of Essex Fells station and some bridge abutments. The lumber yard in Verona still has some rail in place through the gate. There is at least one stone milepost (JC 1*) probably more that I just missed. Foundation to Cedar Grove shelter(also pictured in Brennan's super new book)still visible at the top of the stairs by the bridge over Pompton Ave, 23. Trail ends at former junction with Boonton (Greenwood Lake)Line a few hundred yards north of the electric storage yard/end of wire.
All in all fascinating, though quite overgrown in places, having a virtual tree canopy running its length making it quite comfortable in the summer heat. Recommend parking at the city park off Little Falls Rd, hike short trail up to the line at former grade crossing. I will visit it again for sure.

#159671  by NJ Vike

Can anyone recommend a book and video of the Erie/EL on the NY&GL division? I'm looking for information on the Orange and Caldwell Branch.

I was exploring the area from Pompton Jct to Greenwood lake and unfortunately, I didn't see much of anything with the exception of what appears to be a bridge just off of RT 511 in Wanaque and the trail in Haskell. The further north I went, I didn't see a thing. Perhaps, the vegetation is covering it?

There was also a home that was used to house an agent of the Erie in Sterling but I couldn't find the home either. I believe it was in one of those books "The Next Station Will be" series.

Oh, well :(

#160072  by SooLineRob

Hello all...

I'm new to the forums here, first time post. I grew up / lived in Verona from '74 to '85 and spent alot of time going for walks with my dad along the Caldwell Branch. I remember seeing coal hoppers spotted for unloading at Overbrook Hospital (they generated their own electricity) as well as a rare visit from a boxcar along the warehouse dock, boxcars at the lumber yard (forget the name) on Durrell? St, and cars at Caldwell's team track. In addition, I understand the other lumber yard on Depot St in Verona (West Essex Supply?) received cars as well as the M&E interchange in Essex Fells. There may have been another customer spur in Cedar Grove, west of the Pompton Av/Rt 23 bridge, a building supply place along Grove Av, behind the Grasshopper bar (if it's still there/same name?). That place appeared to have a roadbed/grade going into it at one time, but never saw any actual track in their property. Most, if not all, the switches for the customer's sidings were oriented to do the work going west. Regarding the Branch's fate...there was a washout just west of Overbrook's switch during the summer of '75, I vividly remember my dad carrying me down, around, and back up around the washout, watching out for the ties dangling in mid air, still spiked to the rails! After we got around the mess, I was stung by my first bee! I recall reading somewhere that a boxcar DID get stranded at Caldwell as a result of the washout, and a disagreement ensued between the EL and M&E about retrieving the boxcar. The M&E wanted some crazy amount of money to run over the EL's track to get the car for the EL, so it was the EL's idea to have the local police block off all the road crossings, release the brakes off the car, and simply let gravity roll it to the M&E at Essex Fells, with an employee riding the car and controlling the speed with the handbrake; thereby making an interchange! The EL studied the long term viability of the Branch and it was determined it was a money-loser, and allowed to go to the EL's "estate" after Conrail, never actually belonging to Conrail. The washout WAS scheduled for repair (per the owner of the lumber yard), but it never happened. I recall a few cars of ballast sitting in the "yard" at Great Notch forever, my dad saying how they must be "lost". My childhood mind determined those cars were "small coal cars", and hindsight being 20/20 were probably for the Caldwell Branch repair. I remember the day I was on my way home for dinner on my bicycle and found a salvage company in the process of dismantling the tracks at the Fairview Ave crossing. A traumatic event for a youngster to see "his" train tracks being torn up! Never again to hear a whistle announce a train's arrival to my neighborhood. No more land speed record bike rides to catch "the train" at the crossing. No more "switchers" (as my dad called the engines) going into the lumber yard or switching cars along Bloomfield Av in Caldwell. No more waves from the "guys hanging out" in the caboose. I'll remember the last train I saw on the Branch forever; we heard the whistle/horn far off, flew up to Durrell St crossing, saw the train coming at us eastbound from Fairview Av, the flashers, the bell, the horn, the "tha-thump tha-thump" of the jointed rail, an SW class running cab first pulling two boxcars and two guys standing on the back of the red caboose waving at us as they bounced along out of sight towards Overbrook, Great Notch, Silver Lake, and a child's life long memory...

Wow, I just read my post and must say thank you for allowing me to re-live a great time in my life...

#160075  by SooLineRob

P.S. ...

I believe the Tri-State Railway Historical Soceity's publication, the "BLOCK LINE", ran a 3-5 part series in the mid '80's on the Caldwell Branch. The book "Erie Lackawanna - Death of an American Railroad" also might have some info on the hows/whys these branches, and the EL itself, disappeared. Hope this info helped...

#160087  by NJ Vike

SooLineRob wrote:P.S. ...

I believe the Tri-State Railway Historical Soceity's publication, the "BLOCK LINE", ran a 3-5 part series in the mid '80's on the Caldwell Branch. The book "Erie Lackawanna - Death of an American Railroad" also might have some info on the hows/whys these branches, and the EL itself, disappeared. Hope this info helped...

Rob,

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Ken

#160109  by SooLineRob

P.P.S. ... Ken

I've usually had pretty good luck doing research on a specific line/branch by reading up on the company that originally built/operated the line. For the Greenwood Lake, Caldwell, and Orange Branches, try reading Erie publications; for the Phillipsburg, Gladstone, Montclair, and Sussex Branches, look in DL&W sources. They usually follow the history of a line from initial construction right up to it's disposition, in the EL's case, usually abandonment. Local historical societies are also an EXCELLENT source when it comes to railroads that served their towns...maybe not "operational" details like "what yard did the local freight originate and what customers did it serve?", but you might find some old map of Hick-up Hills' coach yard circa 1900 with a schedule for the pre-Erie "Hick-up Hauler Express" with a 7 1/2 hour schedule to Deadend Dock...

#160121  by NJ Vike

SooLineRob wrote:P.P.S. ... Ken

I've usually had pretty good luck doing research on a specific line/branch by reading up on the company that originally built/operated the line. For the Greenwood Lake, Caldwell, and Orange Branches, try reading Erie publications; for the Phillipsburg, Gladstone, Montclair, and Sussex Branches, look in DL&W sources. They usually follow the history of a line from initial construction right up to it's disposition, in the EL's case, usually abandonment. Local historical societies are also an EXCELLENT source when it comes to railroads that served their towns...maybe not "operational" details like "what yard did the local freight originate and what customers did it serve?", but you might find some old map of Hick-up Hills' coach yard circa 1900 with a schedule for the pre-Erie "Hick-up Hauler Express" with a 7 1/2 hour schedule to Deadend Dock...
Rob,

Sounds like a plan to me. I also noticed on eBay sometime ago, a book on the NY&GL. I'm going to try and find it online again and see if I can purchase this as well.

Thanks again for your assistance.

I will be exploring the Orange Branch this fall as I'm very familiar with this area.

The only question that still puzzles me is that the Orange Branch goes by the former Westinghouse plant heading towards West Orange. Directl beneath Mt. Arlington avenue, you can see the tracks heading west. If you continue west, it must have crossed with the existing Montclair Boonton branch, correct?

#160328  by SooLineRob

If I remember right, while riding MU's from the OLD Montclair terminal (it's a Pathmark now?) the Orange Branch crossed over the double track Montclair Branch.

When I used to go exploring myself, I'd "dress down". I'd wear workboots, dark pants, T shirts, hooded sweat jackets, and denim or Army surplus jackets, and only in daylight hours. And if you're toting a camera, keep it out of sight until you're absolutely sure you're alone / not being watched. I ran across many "seedy" characters along the tracks and never had any real problems, as I appeared to fit in the enviroment. I always avoided spots where I came across more than one person or a small group of people. Better to come back to that spot another day than risk a confrontation with a couple of homeless crazies...

#160360  by jmp883

NJ Vike,

I've lived in Wanaque for 30+ years and the bridge abutments are about the only visible remnants of the Greenwood Lake Branch. North of the bridge abutments most of the roadbed has been built on.
There is one section still visible but it runs along the back of private residences.

In Ringwood the ROW is used as an access road around the reservoir. The Sterling Mine RR ROW is used as a reservoir access road along Sloatsburg Road. If you follow Sloatsburg Rd into New York, you will crest a large hill. At the base of that hill, on both sides of the road, the Sterling Mine RR ROW is very visible. In addition to the roadbed and ties an old telegraph pole is still standing with one or two insulators still on it. Due to the growth of trees and brush this area is best viewed in the winter when the trees are bare.

For more info/pics on the Greenwood Lake Branch and Sterling Mine RR from Wanaque north go
to: www.gsmrrclub.org. Click on the History link and you will see one link for the GLB and one for the Wanaque Reservoir. Some great pics.

#160442  by NJ Vike

SooLineRob wrote:If I remember right, while riding MU's from the OLD Montclair terminal (it's a Pathmark now?) the Orange Branch crossed over the double track Montclair Branch.

When I used to go exploring myself, I'd "dress down". I'd wear workboots, dark pants, T shirts, hooded sweat jackets, and denim or Army surplus jackets, and only in daylight hours. And if you're toting a camera, keep it out of sight until you're absolutely sure you're alone / not being watched. I ran across many "seedy" characters along the tracks and never had any real problems, as I appeared to fit in the enviroment. I always avoided spots where I came across more than one person or a small group of people. Better to come back to that spot another day than risk a confrontation with a couple of homeless crazies...
Rob,

Yes, I believe there still is the Pathmark there. Also, you are so correct about the seedy characters there. I will dress appropriately and go when the weather is colder to there's no vegetation so I can capture whatever is still left there.