Railroad Forums 

• Caboose in West Bloomfield

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1410501  by sd80mac

Did anyone noticed that someone placed track sub and caboose behind a white building, which used to be court for traffic at intersection of county rd 37 and RT 5/20?

It threw me off as I drove by this spot yesterday. It wasn't there few weeks ago when I went through the area.

no lettering no number or anything to identify this. but wasn't looking for it very closely - I didn't get out of car to check it out. I was on my way to meet someone so I cant lose time.
 #1410555  by BR&P

Obviously a CN family caboose. I suspect it may be the CV (or was it GTW?) caboose which used to reside at the Depot Restaurant in Pittsford, but that's just a hunch.
 #1410654  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:Obviously a CN family caboose. I suspect it may be the CV (or was it GTW?) caboose which used to reside at the Depot Restaurant in Pittsford, but that's just a hunch.

If your suspicious is right, then it's too bad that how quickly it rots and fall apart. Last time I saw the caboose at Depot was in nice shape. Where was the caboose in between Depot and new spot at W. Bloomfield.

Also they put in in there that anyone could stop by and steal some stuffs such as rare lanterns on that caboose. If I remember right, there's not much lights behind the building and not many people going by at early am hours.
 #1410666  by BR&P

I think it's been gone from Pittsford for a LONG time. I don't know....15 years maybe? I vaguely recall it was stored on a siding off FGLK in Phelps, but it was gone from there by 2005 or 2006.

And yes, I was looking at the photo and hoping those markers are welded on, or else they will be departing in the back of somebody's car I fear. If you're going by and see whoever owns it you could do them a favor and make the suggestion not to risk losing stuff. 99.9% of people are OK but there's that small percentage that are not.
 #1410785  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:I think it's been gone from Pittsford for a LONG time. I don't know....15 years maybe? I vaguely recall it was stored on a siding off FGLK in Phelps, but it was gone from there by 2005 or 2006.

And yes, I was looking at the photo and hoping those markers are welded on, or else they will be departing in the back of somebody's car I fear. If you're going by and see whoever owns it you could do them a favor and make the suggestion not to risk losing stuff. 99.9% of people are OK but there's that small percentage that are not.
I'll try to find out this Saturday.
 #1410786  by sd80mac

BR&P wrote:I think it's been gone from Pittsford for a LONG time. I don't know....15 years maybe? I vaguely recall it was stored on a siding off FGLK in Phelps, but it was gone from there by 2005 or 2006.

It was there when I had dinner date with my ex wife for anniversary. But I cant remember when.... I'm pretty sure it was sometimes during 2000's when we had 3 kids... maybe late 95's So I guess that you're not far from your guess.
 #1547466  by sd80mac

Last weekend as I head home from Henrietta, the caboose and track is GONE! leaving the ballast stone there. It has to be sometime last week that someone took them away.
 #1547468  by sd80mac

Side note... I would believe that caboose was loaded onto trailer, rather than into dumpster.. no mess at site where caboose was, if it was chewed up and put into dumpster. so that's good news EVEN THROUGH it's in much worse shape than the day that someone put it there.