Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by 4400Washboard

Car #1912 (7 line) has an accessible railfan window facing Flushing. Got to see the pre-sunset glow from the window (made for some nice shots)
  by R36 Combine Coach

One of the few single units left by this point.
  by Head-end View

:(
  by 4400Washboard

R36 Combine Coach wrote:One of the few single units left by this point.
I thought they converted all of the cars...
  by Fan Railer

4400Washboard wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:One of the few single units left by this point.
I thought they converted all of the cars...
Not just yet... but by end of this spring, the RFW on the 7 should be history.
  by Head-end View

I'm surprised to hear there are any RFW's left on the #7. I wrote them off last summer after I waited an hour at Times Square and could not find any train with a corner-cab facing Flushing. As far as I'm concerned it was a lost cause back then.......
  by 4400Washboard

Head-end View wrote:I'm surprised to hear there are any RFW's left on the #7. I wrote them off last summer after I waited an hour at Times Square and could not find any train with a corner-cab facing Flushing. As far as I'm concerned it was a lost cause back then.......

Caught 1916 yesterday
  by Head-end View

Well you must have gotten one of the few remaining ones. I'm past the point of making a trip into the City and standing around forever hoping a corner-cab will appear so I can ride it. I may be a die-hard RFW buff, but I won't waste my time on a lost cause. Is my bitterness showing? :(
  by 4400Washboard

Head-end View wrote:Well you must have gotten one of the few remaining ones. I'm past the point of making a trip into the City and standing around forever hoping a corner-cab will appear so I can ride it. I may be a die-hard RFW buff, but I won't waste my time on a lost cause. Is my bitterness showing? :(
Yes, while the comment may seem negative, it's a true statement.

Before the two I reported above, last time I saw the small cabs was back in June (And I ride the 7 local train 4 days a week, most weeks).

I gave up all hope on finding an RFW on the 7 line back in November.

Now while I wouldn't say that there's no chance of finding a small cab, the chances of finding one are very very slim. Unless you have gobs of time on your hands, I wouldn't suggest making the trek out to queens to catch one, especially in this horrible NYC weather. If you do happen to have time, you better hustle out there soon because they won't be there long, especially with the new R142 conversions streaming in. Also, don't bring lots of stuff and share the space: There's some competition for that window (Some of the general public likes it too, especially little children).
  by Head-end View

And us big kids too! How hard is it to find a "new" (conversion?) #7 train to ride? Can we see thru the cab door window outside of the tunnel in daylight? I've been wanting to try that one of these weeks, but with the bad weather, I might have to wait 'til Spring the way things are going.......
  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:And us big kids too! How hard is it to find a "new" (conversion?) #7 train to ride? Can we see thru the cab door window outside of the tunnel in daylight? I've been wanting to try that one of these weeks, but with the bad weather, I might have to wait 'til Spring the way things are going.......
Not hard at all...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qdu-nyj86Gg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - New York City Subway HD EXCLUSIVE: Kawasaki R188 Manhattan Bound 7 Express Train Railfan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km-QEEiyYms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - NYC Subway HD: Kawasaki R188 Conversion 7320 7 Local Train Railfan (Hunterspoint - Flushing)
  by Head-end View

Good job Fan Railer. Thank-you! View still looks a little blurry thru those weird cab-door windows, though right?
  by 4400Washboard

Head-end View wrote:And us big kids too! How hard is it to find a "new" (conversion?) #7 train to ride? Can we see thru the cab door window outside of the tunnel in daylight? I've been wanting to try that one of these weeks, but with the bad weather, I might have to wait 'til Spring the way things are going.......

It's real easy to find a conversion set. Maybe wait for 2-3 trains and you'll find one. Fun fact: You can easily tell the difference between the conversions and new sets from a distance. The new sets have bright/sharp blueish LED lights. The conversion sets still have the softer yellow. You can see through the cabin window and the view is fair. They did something to the windows to blur the edges of the video. I've taken videos myself and they look okay (If I say so myself :wink: ). Note: On my videos, the lens picks up the left hand side window. The picture is horribly blurry in that portion though and would need to be cropped out. Also beware, the operators occasionally block the window temporarily.

If I was to post any of my RFW photos and videos, I'd have to do some cropping to get rid of the door and other extra stuff for the R188 and conversions sets. Same applies to the R160s and I assume R142s and R143s

The R62As with the big cabs have a teeny window IIRC that one could film out of. Might be a bit high though-I've never tried.
  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Good job Fan Railer. Thank-you! View still looks a little blurry thru those weird cab-door windows, though right?
Of course; courtesy of the "privacy film". You make due with what you get.
  by Head-end View

4400, I've tried looking thru those little square cab-door windows on the R-62A's. Usually they're so scratched up, that you can't see well. I've pretty much given up on them. But I will take a trip in and check out those "conversion" trains some day when the weather improves.

Also which lights are you talking about that look yellowish on the "conversions"? The interior lighting or something else?