Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

  • 93 posts
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  by 4400Washboard
 
Head-end View wrote:4400, I've tried looking thru those little square cab-door windows on the R-62A's. Usually they're so scratched up, that you can't see well. I've pretty much given up on them. But I will take a trip in and check out those "conversion" trains some day when the weather improves.

Also which lights are you talking about that look yellowish on the "conversions"? The interior lighting or something else?

Interior lights.
  by 4400Washboard
 
Ok. Here is an update on the small cabs: I got on 1934 today so we can add that on rhe list. I saw 1916 again and I saw 1914. 1916 I can confirm has a small cab but 1914 I cannot. I'm guessing 1914 has a small cab.

The list currently is:

1912
1914 (To be confirmed)
1916
1934

With 4 small cabs showing up in rapid succession in the pasr weeks, I would like to modify my thoughts on the availability of small cabs: Small cabs are indeed out there and it is not insanely difficult/one more time experience. However, get your cameras out to Queens soon because this may be temporary (Even if they're sent to the 6 line THEN converted).

In othrt news I got to see and confirm that my favorite subway car R62A #1947 is still on the 7 line. :P
  by Head-end View
 
Surprising that you're finding so many of them now. Are they facing Flushing or Manhattan? I will have to take ride on that line again soon.
  by 4400Washboard
 
Head-end View wrote:Surprising that you're finding so many of them now. Are they facing Flushing or Manhattan? I will have to take ride on that line again soon.

All of the above are facing Flushing (I saw 1916 today AGAIN).

After reviewing yesterday's video, it seems that 2141 is ALSO an RFW (Someone else was enjoying it :-) ). 2141 is a Manhattan-facing car though...


Here's the latest:

1912 (Flushing)
1914 (Need confirmation-Flushing)
1916 (Flushing)
1934 (Flushing)
2141 (Manhattan)-Note that 2141 is on the same set as 1934 is)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by 4400Washboard
 
I'll try and upload some stuff online (Flickr perhaps?). The image I attached above and in this post doesn't look so good using the File Upload option below.


I agree it's worth a visit to the 7 line. Try early rush hour so you can get in the sun's glow coming out of the portals and on the Queens Blvd. Viaduct
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Head-end View
 
Back when they were mostly still corner-cabs, I used to catch the first or second express of the afternoon leaving Times Square at about 3PM. Fun while it lasted. I'll take another crack at that line when some of the snow melts and the weather warms up some. I might start off by taking LIRR to Woodside and riding a "conversion" train Manhattan-bound, checking out the view thru the cab-door window.
  by 4400Washboard
 
Head-end View wrote:Back when they were mostly still corner-cabs, I used to catch the first or second express of the afternoon leaving Times Square at about 3PM. Fun while it lasted. I'll take another crack at that line when some of the snow melts and the weather warms up some. I might start off by taking LIRR to Woodside and riding a "conversion" train Manhattan-bound, checking out the view thru the cab-door window.
Sounds good.
  by Head-end View
 
I took that ride today. About half the trains I saw running were new/converted trains. Rode head car 7888 Manhattan-bound. Yes, the view thru the cab-door isn't bad outside in daylight, but there is still a slight distortion in the glass. Several work-zone speed reductions made for a very slow ride at mid-day. I'll have to try again soon during the afternoon rush-hour, and maybe catch one of those corner-cabs if I'm lucky. I can't believe it's come to this.........
  by 4400Washboard
 
Head-end View wrote:I took that ride today. About half the trains I saw running were new/converted trains. Rode head car 7888 Manhattan-bound. Yes, the view thru the cab-door isn't bad outside in daylight/quote]

Yes-It is currently a 50/50 chance of getting old vs. new cars. I expect the trend to shift 55/45 soon. A page or two back I posted something along the lines of that the cabin window will exist, it just won't be as good.
Head-end View wrote: maybe catch one of those corner-cabs if I'm lucky. I can't believe it's come to this.........

:-) . It's corner-cab mania now. Kinda sad and scary that it's down to 4 or so trains. I get corner cabs at GCT at around 4:10ish. Maybe at 4:00 PM, you'll see a cornercab pull into Times Square. I'd expect they'd be running during rush hour
  by 4400Washboard
 
1934 spotted again same config.
  by 4400Washboard
 
2051 small cab manhattan side as of today 3/?/15
  by Head-end View
 
Oh, that's 2 now Manhattan-bound right? You had mentioned 2141 previously I think. I'm hoping to try a 3PM Flushing-bound express ride later this week if the weather holds.
  by 4400Washboard
 
Head-end View wrote:Oh, that's 2 now Manhattan-bound right? You had mentioned 2141 previously I think. I'm hoping to try a 3PM Flushing-bound express ride later this week if the weather holds.
Yup. Good luck-Have fun
  by 4400Washboard
 
Spotted today at 3:40 PM:

Half cab on manhattan end and #1912 is still running on the Flushing side
  by Head-end View
 
Thanks for the update. I might give it a try tomorrow afternoon, Thursday, if nothing else comes up.
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7