Railroad Forums 

• Buttigieg nominee for Secretary of Transportation

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

#1559482  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. B&A, quite "on mark" regarding the "top tier" - State, Treas, Def, AG. Less so with the "second" - and Trans is unquestionably that level.

I think the uncertainty of who Joe can get confirmed has deterred him from selecting a "Dream Team". Of the noted "top tier", I had only heard of Treas-designate Yellen. If I did not follow fiscal affairs to the extent I do, I must wonder if I would have heard of her.
 #1559508  by justalurker66

Transportation is 14th in line for the presidency.

I don't expect the cabinet to be well known by the general public before (or even to some extent, after) they become cabinet members. Sometimes that can be a good thing. People quietly keeping the country running without being in the press on a daily basis.
 #1559510  by Ridgefielder

BandA wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:40 am If the Republicans hold on to the two Senate seats in Georgia, Biden may have some difficulty getting his nominees approved.
Honestly the lack of much of a resume might be an advantage in that case. Not much for anyone to seize onto either way. And no politician is going to get much credit for taking down the 38-year-old former mayor of South Bend, IN. The real fights may (will) be over the top tier-- State, Defense, Treasury, Attorney General.
 #1559535  by FLRailFan1

mtuandrew wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:33 pm
eolesen wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:21 am I'd put my money on Biden being gone by 2023, which won't leave a lot of opportunity to be remembered as a transportation friendly administration.

Gateway benefits NY and NJ more than anything. Few people outside a 100 mile radius of NYC will not care about whether it happens or not.
Gone how? Be very thoughtful in how you respond.
I believe that Biden won't make it to 2024. President Harris will be running things. Biden is old and he'll be out. Just a feeling. Not being political, but if he does make it to 2024, I'll be surprised.
 #1559536  by FLRailFan1

bostontrainguy wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:15 pm
electricron wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:47 pm Whether they change the way taxes are collected to fund the Highway Trust Fund or not, let’s keep it simple with just a single tax. If they want to tax by milage, then eliminate Federal fuel taxes altogether. They should not be able to double dip.
The Biden Administration eliminating a tax? You're not from around here are you?
I believe he'll INCREASE TAXES, not ELIMINATING TAXES!! I know a customer cancelled a big project I was involved with. He is worried about a recession in 2021/2022. 65 homes ($400k -600K) gone...