Railroad Forums 

• Burlington Northern F7 paint scheme

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.

#73719  by cb&q bob

That mineral red paint is a good sign that the locomotive was converted into a power unit for the electric powered rotary snowploughs.
These units did not provide tractive force to move the plow. Just power for the motors that ran the blades and auxilliaries. I would imagine that the locomotive had the powered axles replaced with idlers but they could have been put back in in the warm months so the locomotive could be put back to work pulling frieght rather than just setting in the roundhouse all summer. I know the BN later put B units with the rotaries and they stay with the plow all year long.

#74697  by TerryC

thank you cb&q bob for information on why that paint scheme existed.

http://trainiaxindex.cjb.net/ (out of order as of 12/07/04)
HAPPY HANUKKAH
REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR

#75534  by emd_SD_60

I must admit, I like that "mineral red" better than the standard BN green.... :wink:

#75607  by cb&q bob

I like the color too!
There are some leased MAC 90s running around in mineral red on the UP that look pretty good. Maybe not as flashy as UP yellow and grey but they sure do a better job of hiding the dirt and grime.

#92596  by Hambone

Yeah, all their MOW equip was painted that boxcar red. There used to be a few 1920s vintage passenger cars converted to work train use stored at Downers Grove back in the mid 80s, along with an old steam tender! Some of them still had CB&Q markings, so the tradition goes back pretty far.

#92848  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

Yeah, not that bad! I like the cream scheme better thought.