Railroad Forums 

• Bulgaria

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1364572  by philipmartin

Bulgaria - BDZ Class 07 'Ludmilla' locomotive on Varna - Kardam - Poveljanovo passenger service
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_75rP7j33g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ukranian built diesel locomotive of BDZ class 07, destroyed at Rodopoli station since 2006, make her last ride. Helped by a Canadian MLW MX 627 of OSE class A 450, left border Promachonas station on route to Kulata (Bulgaria).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGfDsZsN3Z4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1588502  by Gilbert B Norman

The New York Times reports on how the Bulgarian Railways would like to abandon a narrow gauge line, but yet there is a small cadre of riders that "are not going to let it go" without a fight.

Sure seems "same same" as over here.

Fair Use:
Dressed in a floral-patterned tunic and baggy pants, her hair covered with a colorful head scarf, Sabie Djikova loaded a dozen bottles — 45 pounds’ worth of milk — into a knapsack and a handmade bag, heaved them over her narrow shoulders and headed down the unpaved road toward the nearby train station.

At 65, she carries less than she used to. “When I was younger, I could carry up to 40 kilos,” she said — nearly 90 pounds.

Sabie and her family are part of a small community of Pomaks, Bulgarian-speaking Muslims who have lived for hundreds of years in a remote, mountainous region of the country. As with others in her village, Sabie owns a few dairy cows, which she milks each day before dawn .
 #1588810  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Benton, possibly I am guilty of shortening links with Times material I share. They are now limiting subscribers to sharing ten articles a month.

So let's give this link a try.

I appreciate knowing if this is accessible. While I respect that recognized media sources such as The Times are trying to "right the wrong" with their unlimited free content of early internet days, sometimes I think they go too far. This especially the case considering to hear that "thump on the porch" now costs $1400 a year.

But I've been reading The Times since I was eight years old - and not about to stop now.

Oh, and I've never known how to read a paper on a website, and at 80yo, not about to learn.
 #1588826  by David Benton

That works . Mr Norman. Some great photos in the Times version.
A video of a steam trip is in this NZ Herald article.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/strug ... DBQADUFRQ/

Both my parents are in their early eighties. When visiting at Xmas , mum complained she couldn't read the news on her Ipad anymore. Hmm, probably an up date and i will have it going for her , I thought. Alas , her Ipad was too old to accept the security requirements of the updated TVNZ news app. So i made a link to the "Stuff"(roundup of about 1/2 the nz regional papers) website for her , thinking she wouldnt use it much . Returned a couple of days later , and she said she loved it .