Railroad Forums 

• Buildings on School Street in Lowell, MA

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#837641  by Aerie

I was driving on School St. in Lowell today and passed over the NH route tracks. The bridge is rather high over the tracks and the sides of the bridge obstruct much of the view of the tracks. However at track level next to the bridge are some large, solid granite block buildings. The roofline of the building closest to the track made me think that these buildings are somehow railroad related. This is maybe half a mile or so North of Lowell station, between Lowell station and the location of the former Middlesex engine facility. I am wondering if these might have been the Lowell freight facility. Thanks.
 #838843  by bmcdr

No, those buildings were formerly the Lowell Gas Works and were served by the railroad at one time. If you have time to investigate, you can still see bits and pieces of a siding that once went in there.