Railroad Forums 

Forum for the discussion of the Budd Company and Budd-Thyssen through bankruptcy. Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Company

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#10749  by bwparker1

All,

I am a member with the Bellefonte Railroad Historical Society. We are in the process of writing a grant to seek funds to renovate our existing Budd cars, #9153 and #9167. I was wondering if anyone would have any ideas as to what companies to contact for parts & services, prices for various repairs, etc. The cars are going to be completly overhauled, the only major work of recent time was the trueing of one wheel set this past summer. Other than that, everything will need to be done, windows, engine rebuilds, repainting, A/C and heat work, brakes, etc. Any info appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brooks
[/url]

#10772  by DutchRailnut

if money is no object try this outfit
http://www.industrial-rail.com/prototype.html and watch the way they are rebuilding RDC's don't know price however but they do not look cheap.

#10866  by ENR3870

They did 5 RDC's for VIA Rail for 4 million CDN.
 #11005  by bwparker1

Thank you for this timely information.

Cheers,
Brooks :D

#11175  by jimmiegag

I think that you will find a complete rebuild by an outside contractor is in the neighborhood of at least $500,000 and easily more. If you can do some of the work yourselves, and sub out some of the work, you may save up to 20% of that figure. It may also cost you more time, however. Parts for the engines as well as truck work and updated Airconditioning will be costly.

You might also try Delaware Car in Willmington, Delaware for a contract price. They do good work and have rebuilt RDC's in the past.

Jim Gagliardi

#11323  by bwparker1

Thanks Jim

Brooks

#11963  by 498

The source for parts for the Detroit Diesel 6-110 engines used on the Budd RDC's is Williams Distribution, a branch of Williams Detroit Diesel in Akron, Ohio. Their website is:

www.williamsdistribution.com
 #12137  by Butlershops

498 wrote:The source for parts for the Detroit Diesel 6-110 engines used on the Budd RDC's is Williams Distribution, a branch of Williams Detroit Diesel in Akron, Ohio. Their website is:

www.williamsdistribution.com
Nice Link!

#12847  by ENR3870

The 4 million quoted to VIA Rail was for complete rebuilds. Industrial Rail Services basically rebuilt the RDC's from the rails up. Including new Cummins Diesel engines(400 hp each), Microprocessor Computer controls, completely refurbished interiors, and new paint jobs.

#12939  by bwparker1

FYI,

Industrial Rail Services quoted us $185,000 US to rehab each Budd RDC-1

Brooks
BHRX
Last edited by bwparker1 on Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#12967  by missthealcos

That doesn't sound too bad...all reports I have seen indicate they do good work...look at the pics of the prototype, it looks brand new!

They were also supposed to be involved in the rebuilding of the BC Rail RDC fleet, before the Provincial gov't screwed that over for good

#20350  by prt1607j

ACTUALLY THEY HAD A GMC MOTOR IN THEM.. WHY NOT SWAP OUT THE GMC'S FOR A NEW CATERPILLAR OR TWO.. CAT HAS THEM

#21338  by LocoEngineer

bwparker1 wrote:FYI,

Industrial Rail Services quoted us $185,000 US to rehab each Budd RDC-1

Brooks
BHRX
Check with the NYS&W Histiorical & Technical Society. They have done several RDC-1s. I think they did theirs for a lot less than $185,000. Of course they probably did less to the cars as well. Beware the FRA passenger car standards. I realize there are exceptions for historical and excursion trains, but be aware of it anyhow...

LE

#21361  by bwparker1

Lee,

We are FRA compliant, so we are aware of the many regulations. Thanks for the heads up though.

PS I have posted the BHRS Train schedule under another post in this forum.

Brooks

#59119  by hajelliott

You might try the "Hobo Railroad" in Lincoln New Hampshire.
They overhaul equipment all the time, and have done RDCs
Al