Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #1136681  by chnhrr

This is not another Stimulus Program, but some questions I have concerning two major unused PRR bridges in the suburban Philadelphia area. At the end of December I passed by the first one at Whitford near Route 30. The second one at Manayunk I came across by reviewing the rail lines located off the Main Line on Bing maps. The bridges served which two now defunct Pennsy lines?

Also can any one recommend a good book on the PRR Philadelphia suburban service?
 #1136825  by RedbirdR33

chnhrr wrote:This is not another Stimulus Program, but some questions I have concerning two major unused PRR bridges in the suburban Philadelphia area. At the end of December I passed by the first one at Whitford near Route 30. The second one at Manayunk I came across by reviewing the rail lines located off the Main Line on Bing maps. The bridges served which two now defunct Pennsy lines?

Also can any one recommend a good book on the PRR Philadelphia suburban service?
One such book would be "Pennsylvania Railroad Facilities In Color", Volume 3, Philadelphia Division by Robert J Yanosey. It was published by Morning Sun Books in 2009. Its focus is on the stations, bridges and other structures of the PRR but it contains many excellent photos and has capsule histories of the various lines.

Another book is "Delaware Valley Rails" by John R Pawson. It was published in 1979 by Mr Pawson and is basically a field guide to all the rail lines in the Philadelphia area. Even though its over 30 years old it is a good mine of information and I still refer to it often.
It has been out of print for a long time but maybe you could find a copy on e-bay or at a railroad show.

Larry,RedbirdR33
 #1136883  by AlexC

The bridge at Whitford is one of the longest of it's type, and it was part of the Philadelphia & Thorndale branch
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 130&t=7624

The bridge in Manayunk was part of the PRR's Schuylkill Branch. It ran from the 52nd Street area to Norristown, Phoenixville, Pottstown, Reading, Pottsville and up to an interchange with the LV at New Boston Junction.

It was used by SEPTA through the 80s as part of it's R6 - Ivy Ridge line from 30th Street. Now that line is cut back to Cynwyd.
 #1137704  by Missyg24

In Williamsport theres a railroad bridge PRR used for their line from downtown to the connection to RDG's yard/Nisbet/Antes Fort.
Its along 3rd st next to the county recylcing place. tracks are gone but the bridge still stands as a reminder of days gone by.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Add me on Fbk Missy Simbeck for more pictures.