Railroad Forums 

• Bridge remains on Pine River in Sanbornville, NH

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1305703  by Arborwayfan

A friend showed me a picture of stone bridge abutments or similar remains on Pine River next to Pine River Pond Road in Sanbornville, NH. Was there ever a rail line there parallel to the road, or are we just looking at an old road bridge?
 #1305772  by ThinkNarrow

It seems very unlikely that these are railroad related. There are/were two railroads in the Sanbornville area. One was the B&M line from Rochester to North Conway. While some of it has been abandoned, the part from Rochester to Ossipee Pit is still in use by the New Hampshire North Coast for gravel trains. The other railroad was the Wolfeboro branch of the B&M. The remains of that also retain a rail use; it is used for "speeders" operated by the Cotton Valley rail trail club.

Neither of these current day uses would leave "stone bridge abutments or similar remains," and neither parallels the Pine River Pond Road as far as I can see from the Google maps.

-John
 #1305792  by Arborwayfan

I should have said that I had looked at google maps and earth pretty carefully and didn't see anything, and wondered if there might have been something long ago. As you say, it's not the NHN or the Wolfeboro branch.