Railroad Forums 

• Brewster, New York

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #968905  by chrisnewhaven

I am interested at the New Haven's operations in Brewster, NY. What local(s)/road freights served Brewster? Also, how often was the interchange with the NYC used until it was ripped up in 1959? Also, are there any pictures of New Haven freights in Brewster, especially a picture of any crossing the bridge over the Croton River, or those of demonstrator locomotives. I live in the area and am curious as to how much industry was formerly here.
C.J.V.
 #969683  by TCurtin

Brewster was typically served by one of the local freights based in Danbury. Exactly which one varied over the years. Here's one example from 1955: NX-11 on Monday-Wednesday-Friday went in three directions out of Danbury (New Milford, Botsford, and Brewster). Brewster was listed as "as required." Those words typically suggest that business there is little and sporadic. In that period (mid 50s) I believe they served Danbury-Brewster Lumber Co. (later Lloyd's Lumber, and I do not know what it is today) on Rt 22, and the house track or team track further west where the NYC connection was. The same local also served Danbury Block & Supply Co. near Mill Plain, CT (Super Stop & Shop is on the site today) I don't recall any other business in Mill Plain in the 50s (Wickes Lumber came along in the 60s).

I would say the NYC connection was used little if ever in the 50s, which is probably why it was removed. Interestingly, it was designated as a passenger train detour route if the NH main was blocked. Trains in one directions to and from GCT would go that way, and the other direction would use the NH Norwalk-Danbury line if the blockage was east of Norwalk). To the best of my knowledge there was one occurrence of that, in the summer of 1958. I don't remember any details as I was a kid then.

I have never seen a photo of a New Haven train crossing the Croton River bridge in Brewster. Too bad --- I would love to see one! (In old time lore it's called the "Milk Factory Bridge" as there was once a Borden's plant underneath it)
 #969831  by chrisnewhaven

I believe that the Danbury-Brewster Lumber became a Dills Best lumber yard, and has been abandoned since 2008. I always thought that place had had rail service as it was right next to the line and almost at level with it, only 2-3 feet lower in elevation. Also in a recent issue of Railpace there was a picture of a New Haven painted Bl-20GH crossing the bridge, unfortunatly I think that's as close as we'll get. Thanks for responding TCurtin!
C.J.V.
 #971873  by AMK0123

Dills lumber used to recieve rail. I remember driving over Interstate 84 back in late 80's or early 90's and seeing boxcars on their siding. The switch off the main was just to the east of I-84 and ran under both I-84 bridges and then broke into two separate tracks that went to two different buildings in the Dills complex. The switch off the main has been severed but the inner switch, rails and ties are still in place, (easier to see in the winter). The complex was sold back in 2008 to Brewster Honda for future use.
 #972660  by TCurtin

Interesting footnote to that lumber siding: at one time (1950's I distinctly remember this) it actually came all the way through the lumber co. complex, crossed Rt 22 at grade, to a bumper post on the west side of Rt 22. I don't know why that was like that but I do remember it was there
 #972687  by DutchRailnut

Actually I tried at time 9late 80's to talk Carl Dill in accepting rail service and starting a transload facility there, the rail had not been used since Conrail owned Maybrook and the place was Loyds Lumber.
 #973401  by AMK0123

Dutch, do you remember when they cut that switch from the main? Also looks like there used to be some type of signal or electrical cabinet box on the opposite side of the main in that area. Did there used to be some type of signal in that area?
 #973403  by DutchRailnut

switch was taken out around 1986/7 when several sidings where removed, the switch at Loyds Lumber was in Brewster siding (old second track) the Siding went from Crosby Ave to just east of Loyd lumber.
at same time the siding in Hopewell Jct Yard was taken out of service
Entire Maybrook was signalled from Devon to at least Poughkeepie bridge.
the Maybrook was two tracks from Devon to Poughkeepsie bridge and beyond.
 #973648  by Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut wrote:switch was taken out around 1986/7 when several sidings where removed, the switch at Loyds Lumber was in Brewster siding (old second track) the Siding went from Crosby Ave to just east of Loyd lumber.
at same time the siding in Hopewell Jct Yard was taken out of service
Entire Maybrook was signalled from Devon to at least Poughkeepie bridge.
the Maybrook was two tracks from Devon to Poughkeepsie bridge and beyond.
The entire Maybrook Line was double track ABS territory with the exception of the Poughkeepsie Bridge where the second track was removed way back when the L-1 2-10-2's came in 1918. When they got the L-1's they overlapped the two main tracks into a gauntlet which lasted until the about when the CTC was put into service. The first section to go single track was Highland - Berea (just east of Maybrook) and from there they generally worked their way east. Highland and Poughkeepsie Sidings had power switches on both ends and could be used in either direction without problems. The rest of the sidings were sidings of assigned direction the assigned direction being eastward. The dispatcher had control of a power switch at the west end of the siding and a signal off the siding at the east end. At the east end of these sidings was a spring swiltch protected by a dwarf signal which could display a stop indication or a slow clear indication. It was more or less a poor man's CTC but it did work. The double track was left through Danbury between Berkshire Junction and Fair Grounds and was ABS territory with power switches at both Berkshire Junction and Fair Grounds. Derby Junction was also controlled by the Maybrook Dispatcher and the line between Derby Junction was still double track during the New Haven Days.
The CTC did away with signal towers at Derby Junction, Berkshire Junction and Poughkeepsie (SS-194) while other signal towers were done away with years earlier as branch lines were abandoned and there were a number of branch lines involved.
Noel Weaver
 #973662  by TCurtin

The dates of CTC in service on various portions were:

Highland-Berea 6/10/58
Berkshire Jct - Derby Jct 3/10/61
Poughkeepsie-FairGrounds 5/22/61