Railroad Forums 

• BR&W Lambertville-Ringoes

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#726199  by thebigham

NJtwoM wrote:Spent the weekend in the New Hope/Lambertville area, and not much has changed, save for the height of the vegetation & trees. A quick photo update for you.........

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=1705715
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=1705717
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=1705718
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=1705720
http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=1705727
Thanks for these pics!

What other cars are in Lambertville?
 #726610  by thebigham

^LOL. But, doesn't the Bing "Bird's Eye" view show another passenger car north of town? Or was that removed?

Thanks.
 #726677  by wolfboy8171981

There may till be a blue Ex-AMT Nee-NYC baggage car on the Bel-Del section north of where the Flemington Branch came off.
 #726883  by Mr. Ed

The posted link shows a car north of the station but later views don't, so I am going to presume that it is the one now being shown south of the station.

Later!
Mr. Ed
 #726890  by wolfboy8171981

Mr. Ed wrote:The posted link shows a car north of the station but later views don't, so I am going to presume that it is the one now being shown south of the station.

Later!
Mr. Ed
The car in question I mentioned would not be south of the station.
 #727816  by dlagrua

I live about 20 minutes from Lambertville and would like to see return of service from Ringoes to that town. At one time the RR served a number of businesses along the way like the Quarry and Niece lumber. Much of the sidings still remain. If BR&W restored service perhaps they should ask the former customers along the line if they would interested in using it again. It might prove to be a revenue generator when the building trades industry improves. As for passenger service; during the summer vacation season just run the trains from Flemington to Lambertville. I'd bet that you'd fill up with dads and children who want to take some time away from their shopping spouses at the Flemington Outlet Center when the train originates. I would also believe that a dinner train might attract some interest. One can only hope. .
 #729588  by CNJ1554

dlagrua wrote:I live about 20 minutes from Lambertville and would like to see return of service from Ringoes to that town. At one time the RR served a number of businesses along the way like the Quarry and Niece lumber. Much of the sidings still remain. If BR&W restored service perhaps they should ask the former customers along the line if they would interested in using it again. It might prove to be a revenue generator when the building trades industry improves. As for passenger service; during the summer vacation season just run the trains from Flemington to Lambertville. I'd bet that you'd fill up with dads and children who want to take some time away from their shopping spouses at the Flemington Outlet Center when the train originates. I would also believe that a dinner train might attract some interest. One can only hope. .
And, to lighted up on traffic in town, the BRW could stage a motor car (Doodlebug or Turtle) at RT 29 where they own a sizeable lot for paid parking with free shuttle to "downtown"
 #731017  by CNJ1554

An interesting note - the BRW has a sizable weed wacker, mounted on the front of a road grader. In fact it is only used for that purpose. Some nice clearing was done north of Ringoes Station and word has it that the entire 16 mile line could see a major clearing operation.
 #731091  by wolfboy8171981

CNJ1554 wrote:An interesting note - the BRW has a sizable weed wacker, mounted on the front of a road grader. In fact it is only used for that purpose. Some nice clearing was done north of Ringoes Station and word has it that the entire 16 mile line could see a major clearing operation.
This peice of equipment is not owned by the BR&W. It is owned by IRS ( Innovative Rail Services) which uses the Ringoes Yard as its home base. IRS,among other things, is used by the CP to maintain its yard at Oak Island.
 #732059  by Off Pending

At the very least, I would think management at BRW would take more interest in the property encroachment in the L'vile area. Should they fail to enforce their property lines and rights now, it could prove to be problematic if it goes on for too long. I've heard of cases where a property owner didn't enforce their property rights and ended up losing the disputed property to those who were doing the encroaching. Not sure how accurate that assertion was, but it's worth a thought.
 #732117  by Ken W2KB

Off Pending wrote:At the very least, I would think management at BRW would take more interest in the property encroachment in the L'vile area. Should they fail to enforce their property lines and rights now, it could prove to be problematic if it goes on for too long. I've heard of cases where a property owner didn't enforce their property rights and ended up losing the disputed property to those who were doing the encroaching. Not sure how accurate that assertion was, but it's worth a thought.
At least partially accurate:

In general: NJ's statute of limitations on adverse possession is as follows:

N.J.S.A. 2A:14-6. 20 years; right of entry into real estate
Every person having any right or title of entry into real estate shall make such entry within 20 years next after the accrual of such right or title of entry, or be barred therefrom thereafter.

L.1951 (1st SS), c.344.

Note that the possession by the adverse party must be adverse, e.g., assertive and in some manner excluding the rightful owner. Under the legal principle that "equity abhors a forfeiture" only a slight exercise of property rights at any time before the expiration of 20 years, starts a new 20 year period before adverse possession can be claimed. Even walking or inspecting the property, etc. can start a new 20 year period.

Specific: If I recall correctly, public utilities, including railroads, enjoy an exemption from adverse possession. If nothing else, title to public utility property cannot be transferred without approval of the relevant regulator. So no need for concern as the property is a railroad. Were the line to Lambertville to actually be abandoned, that might be a concern after 20 years of non entry had elapsed.

P.S. Real property laws, which more or less date back back to feudal times, fascinates me for some reason. Thanks for the question. :wink:
 #732854  by carajul

I think in PA the rules for adverse possession is open use of another's property for 10 years, not 20 like in NJ. A few years ago some guy in Laury's Station, PA was storing large dumpsters on the former LV row (land now owned by NS). Of course the tracks have been gone since '84. But NS sent him a letter kindly telling him to get the hell off their property.

Sadly it appears as though the LV main just north of Laury's is being developed upon.
 #733903  by Donko142

I don't think it's been 11 years since trains were in Lambertville. I remember running 40 at New Hope and playing the whistle game with 60, I think this was 1999 or 2000. Does anyone know if there is any plans for the BRW guys & Mike's cutter to go down the South end of the Railroad ?