Railroad Forums 

• Boonton Line New Siding

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#76  by TrainBill

Any more news on the Boonton Line Siding?

#282  by rushhour

Is this something new??? I heard about NJT building something like a new siding around here.
 #301  by RichM

A new switch was installed just north of Wootton St, is in the process of being aligned with the old passing siding to the west of the current active line. Rails and ties were replaced on the old siding about three weeks ago, there has been what appears to be more re-grading on both the siding and the actual spur into the steel facility. As of this morning, the crossover rail sections between the two lines still haven't been installed, I'm assuming that this has been delayed until the siding elevation matches that of the main line.
I'm guessing now, but it looks like the original plan might not have included this new switch, as a lot of the original alignment work is being done over.

Rich

#1689  by nolifeCRchaser

The steel plant should be seeing NS service very soon. The Dover night job bid has just closed, so expect to see trains running during the night just as soon as they have another qualified crew.
 #1707  by njt4172

Nolife,

That is good news! I couldn't believe my eyes, but last Wed. I caught NS SD40-2 1620 sitting in Dover, NJ! Good thing I got a picture cause the next day it was gone! Do you know why NS is startiing to bring 6 axle locomotives on the H0-2?
:D
Steve
 #1794  by nolifeCRchaser

It was probably used for extra power. If they get a lot of cars the crew will request an extra engine. If not an SD-40, then they will have a Guilford unit, a high hood GP unit, another ex Conrail GP or SW unit, and once they had a Conrail SD-70. Aside from the ex-Conrail power, nothing can lead from Hacketstown east, with the Totowa and Orange Industrial tracks and the old Boonton Line being the only exceptions. A few weeks ago they had a high hood GP-38-2.

#1831  by dave76

There probably bringing 6 axles because there probably equiped with cab signals, and 4 axle power with cab signals are not available.
 #1934  by nolifeCRchaser

"There probably bringing 6 axles because there probably equiped with cab signals, and 4 axle power with cab signals are not available."

None of the NS high hood units are equipped with cab signals and technically 6 axles are not to be used on any siding on NJT. That doesn't mean it does not happen though. If NS would stop scraping all their former Conrail power and sending the ones that have not been scrapped down south, there would be no problems with no cab signaled units.

#4887  by RichM

Snow's gone, rails connecting the crossover switches installed, line looks graded and just about ready. Bring in the coil cars.

#4890  by Uzi-Cat

The big power is just for extra power when they have to bring a large amount of freight up from Washington. The extra units generally don't have cab signals. They are just for power. When the crew doesn't need the power the engine will sit on the pigtail track in dover yard. At least that is what they have done so far. Also, since they no longer have a second unit regularly, they got the caboose.

#4893  by Uzi-Cat

The big power is just for extra power when they have to bring a large amount of freight up from Washington. The extra units generally don't have cab signals. They are just for power. When the crew doesn't need the power the engine will sit on the pigtail track in dover yard. At least that is what they have done so far. Also, since they no longer have a second unit regularly, they got the caboose.
 #5078  by njt4172

wpdj61,

Do you happen to know if the NS night job has returned to Dover? Someone on this forum mentioned this awhile back..

Thanks!

#5099  by Uzi-Cat

Haven't heard about the night job but I will check when I go to Dover today. Will see what the good word is.
 #5137  by nolifeCRchaser

The H56 works at Dover on tuesday and thursday nights. The crew is suppossed to report at 7pm. They have been working since last week.

#5292  by Uzi-Cat

Nolife has it right. 2 days a week in Dover, 3 in Croxton. Look for them heading to Reheist at night. Not sure when but that is most likely where they will be.