Railroad Forums 

• BOOK: The Men Who Loved Trains

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#260594  by LCJ

I just finished this book last night. Maybe it's because of my personal interactions and acquaintances with several of the people featured in it, but I found I had to read it all right away.

The Men Who Loved Trains, by Rush Loving, Jr.

There was a section of this work featured in this month's Trains. Loving takes us from the early '50s Young/Perlman New York Central era and the much covered PC disaster, through the creation/evolution of Amtrak, Conrail, CSX and NS up to the present situation -- mostly from the perspective of Jim McClellan, a guy who participated materially in many of those events. I learned many details about all of this that I had never known before.

There are great personal insights into people like Watkins, Fishwick, Hagen, Crane, Perlman, Newman, LeVan, Snow, and Goode -- just to name a few personalities who were heavily involved and influential in this era.

If you're into what really happened in the development of railroads in the last part of the 20th Century, you should go for this book. I found a few minor errors, but nothing that really detracts from the story.

#352486  by Gilbert B Norman

As an industry contemporary, but hardly "in the loop', and having had occasion to meet several of the "personae along the way", I heartilly concur with Mr. LCJ's endorsement of this book.

Don Phillips has a follow-up column in January TRAINS.

#485449  by Rule Breaker

Excellent book - highly recommended.

#507936  by Otto Vondrak

This is probably one of the best railroad subject books I have read in a long time.

My railfan education began with reading Binzen's "The Wreck of the Penn Central" and Saunders' "The Railroad Mergers and the Coming of Conrail"... I read both while still in the sixth grade. I have read histories of PC, NYC, PRR, EL... but nothing has put together the whole picture like "The Men Who Loved Trains." You learn quickly that not only did economic factors play big in the railroad mergers, but above all, it was personality!

-otto-