Railroad Forums 

• BO-1, LOSA, LO-1

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#267129  by b&m 1566

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I heard from some people, and i think Guilford has a power crunch. Is it possible to "borrow" or lease other loco's?

Bernie, Guilford is always in need of more power. I'm sure they might have something worked out with other railroads in regards to horsepower hours but {I have also been told} Guilford tends to hold on to locomotives that aren't theirs, longer than anticipated. For me personally seeing NS engines engaged in switching duties at the Nashua rail yard; is taking advantage of someone else’s power. Meanwhile Guilford’s own engines sit idling or were shut down on other tracks. Of course Guilford does have to trade off in return…. Right!? :-)
 #304664  by GP40MC 1116

I had a question, I wonder if any of you Guilford/Pan Am Folks can help me. The last few days on Tuesdays/Thursdays when I go into Boston for my internship, I have seen a Guilford Rail System/PAR 500 Series Engine parked on the track behind BET, best close to the Tressile Bridge that carries the New Hampshire Route Maine Line (Lowell CR) Well as my MBCR Train has been arriving in N Station About 7:05-7:07AM, I seem to see the GRS Engine Idleing high w smoke and the front lights on like it's going to do some work, the same for MBTA 3247 w "high idle" i guess u can call it w the front headlight's on and looking like they were ready to go. Well later in the morning and a few times during the day I was past their as well, and the engine's both were still sitting their, nothing had moved, only the headlghts were now OFF. Any idea if B0-1 actually moves or? It seems to be a good string of cars waiting for it on the other side of the grade crossing at Third Avenue. Right before the MBTA/MBCR MOW Base with the wye. Had anyone seen the ex Boston & Maine Boxcars w MBTX Reporting Makrs sitting in the MOW Facility?
 #304671  by GP40MC1118

BO-1 works 7AM Monday through Friday and generally has short days due to the lack of business. The trips to Salem are probably their longest shifts.

The 3247 is on the Northside Work Train and they could be up to anything including switching around BET.

That string of cars going towards Sullivan Square are usually for SALO to take out of town. They tend to pile up these days since LOSA doesn't come
to town every night.

The two ex-B&M boxcars in the T-Pad are refugees from the Charlestown Navy Yard and will be used in work train service.

Dave

#305199  by Finch

What's BO-1 designate? All I really know if that DOBO is Dover/Boston. And seems like LOSA is Lowell/Salem...

Saturday morning at about 9:00, I saw MEC 511 (if I remember correctly) sitting near BET. Is this at all associated with the trains being discussed here? Or just hanging out for the weekend?

#305359  by doublebell

BO-1 = Boston switcher

John (the guy in the white car with the wing on back)

#305641  by GP40MC 1116

Finch wrote:What's BO-1 designate? All I really know if that DOBO is Dover/Boston. And seems like LOSA is Lowell/Salem...

Saturday morning at about 9:00, I saw MEC 511 (if I remember correctly) sitting near BET. Is this at all associated with the trains being discussed here? Or just hanging out for the weekend?
Quite the interesting day today, I swear Guilford/Pan Am just likes to switch up their power like crazy. Here's what I saw instead of the 511 just was outside of BET By the Third Av Crossing, i saw GP-40 MEC 321
 #306970  by MikeB

Today I saw what I assumed was BO-1 heading towards North Station next to BS&G. It was on one of the middle tracks which I found odd. this was about 11:00 a.m. today, maybe a little later. what were they doing down there?
 #307002  by GP40MC 1116

MikeB wrote:Today I saw what I assumed was BO-1 heading towards North Station next to BS&G. It was on one of the middle tracks which I found odd. this was about 11:00 a.m. today, maybe a little later. what were they doing down there?
Well... It 99.9 percent sure was BO-1 and if they were heading towards the direction of N Station. I know fairly sure that Freight Trains are prohibated from the Platforms at N Station, so BO-1 either the lone unit or with a train could have been switching tracks to head back to it's "area" Not sure though, Maybie someone can give is more info?
 #307700  by GP40MC1118

It's not uncommon to see BO-1's power lite or with small train in Tower A
interlocking. They may have been "turning their engine" or headed out the Lowell mainline to Walnut St. to go into the top end of Yard 8. Freight trains are not allowed beyond the Tower A drawbridges except for the work train.

DOBO is not allowed into Tower A and always goes into Yard 8 at Walnut
Street. This is due to sand/gravel falling off the cars and fouling the
power switches at Tower A. However, BODO with about a 25-30 limit
can go out the mainline from Tower A.

Even LOSA, if they don't have height restricted cars in their train, can
come down the Lowell mainline (or "High Line") if traffic permits.

Dave