Railroad Forums 

• Blowing horn warnings before tunnel entry?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#1205008  by wborys

I infrequently ride NJT into NYC, and sometimes hear the horn blow before
we enter the Hudson River Tunnel, sometimes not.

Is there a protocol or requirement for an engineer to sound his horn before
entering a tunnel? Or immediately before exiting?

Also, are any warnings needed before travelling onto a long bridge?

Thanks.
 #1205042  by Ocala Mike

I believe the warning has to do with impaired clearances for workmen who might possibly be active at or near the tunnel entrance, and impaired visibility for the engineer about to enter the tunnel. Many, if not all, of the Hudson River and East River tunnels are protected by whistle posts, and the warning horn is mandatory in that case. I believe it's one long "in the manual."
 #1205070  by amtrakhogger

wborys wrote:I infrequently ride NJT into NYC, and sometimes hear the horn blow before
we enter the Hudson River Tunnel, sometimes not.

Is there a protocol or requirement for an engineer to sound his horn before
entering a tunnel? Or immediately before exiting?

Also, are any warnings needed before travelling onto a long bridge?

Thanks.
There is a whistle board just prior to the North River Tunnel portals going eastward (hence the requirement for sounding the horn.) There is no requirement to sound the horn going west (exiting the tunnels) however, I always sound short series prior to leaving the tunnels in case there are workers present. The sequence is not one "long" but rather the regular two longs, a short , and a long.

Some bridges have whistle boards while others do not. Portal bridge has them both ways, while the Susquehanna River bridge only has a whistle board for northward movements.