Railroad Forums 

• Bicentennial GP38 7776

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#265502  by NorfolkSouthernSean

I keep on hearing about this locomotive, but have never seen any photos of it. Does anybody know where photos can be found?

#265824  by NorfolkSouthernSean

Thanks. And they even painted the coupler white.

#265901  by U-Haul

In the Trains Bicentennial Issue last year it was mentioned that 7776 was accidentally repainted in Conrail Blue in November 1976. Another locomotive was supposed to be repainted since it was in (dire) need of paint.

#349294  by lvrr325

That unit was one of many that Conrail let go back to lessors when the leases expired. Where is it now? (should I check the soup cans in my kitchen cupboards?)

#349475  by NorfolkSouthernSean

After Conrail let it go it went to the Pittsburgh & Lake Erie as their 2038. It later went to the Kiamichi Railroad in Texas as their 3810. Its last owner was the Mackenzie Northern Railway, part of RailAmerica in Canada as their 3810. Sadly it was wrecked January 27th, 2001 and scrapped in October of 2001.
 #567410  by Earle Baldwin

The 7776 never ventured far from Conway and was not a widely publicized locomotive. It did not receive much exposure outside that particular area.

Earle
 #568252  by GOLDEN-ARM

Remember the BiCentennial GG-1? That was a real "looker"......