Railroad Forums 

• Best route to Horseshoe Curve from Baltimore

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #56361  by Q-LANY

To all railfans of the Norfolk Southern or the Pennsylvania area, I would like to get directions to the Horseshoe Curve from the Baltimore area. I live fairly close to Interstate 83 as well as Interstate 695/Interstate 70. I appreciate the help you all can offer.
 #56391  by Guest

Take I-70 west to Bedford Pa. and north on U.S. 220 or I-99 to Altoona. I'm sure there are signs posted in Altoona directing you to the curve.
 #56785  by 2nd trick op

Once you reach Brezewood, Penna (I-70/Penna Turnpike), take US 30, NOT the Pike, about 10 miles west to Everett, then take Penna 26 north for about 35 miles to Huntingdon. You'll be able to see much of the grade of the long-gone Huntingdon and Broad Top Mountain on your right.

(You could also take US 522 north to Orbisonia and the East Broad Top)

From Huntingdon (BTW, PRR's HUNT Tower is preserved, used by a local transit firm, and open to the public), go west on US 22 for 8 miles to the intersection with Penna 45 at Water Street. Take Penna 45 north over the mountain for about 3 miles and you'll have a beautiful view of Spruce Creek Tunnel. A brick tower with high "Armstrong" levers (SPRUCE) graced this place until 1983, and I have many fond memories of time spent there while a Penn State student.

At the foot of the hill, duck under the tracks and immediately turn left onto a paved, but unmarked road. This will paralell, cross and recross the NS/ex-PRR main for several miles until it feeds into Penna 453, which will join US 220 and I-99 at Tyrone.

Either of these two routes will take you into Altoona, but both avoid the railroad and pass through Logan Valley a little to the east. In compensation, the better accomodations and eateries are on this route. To get to downtown and the Railroaders' Museum, follow Penna 764.

Coming out of Altoona headed east, it's also possible to get a good view of Juniata and Bellwood via local roads. Have yourself a ball!