Railroad Forums 

• Best Digital Camera for Shooting Trains in Low-light

• Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.
Discussion of photography and videography techniques, equipment and technology, and links to personal railroad-related photo galleries.

Moderators: nomis, keeper1616

#49192  by PD&EBuff

Let’s discuss what digital cameras you are successfully using to shoot moving trains at low light. I think most digital cameras out there today will shoot a decent photo of a train in good light. However, when was the last time something we had to have came by in perfect light? So what have you used successfully on moving trains in low light conditions? Let’s comment on the price range, but not throw something out because it cost both arms, two legs, and the first born. And let’s ignore the phrase; “But that one didn’t work for me.” Instead, let’s have everyone speak up and see if a champion emerges.

#61189  by Alphajet81

I would sugest the Panasonic Lumix FZ20. It gives you the quality and controlls of an SLR at half the price, has a 12x zoom and uses fast SD memory. it has adjustable color options to help make the shot right for your taste and you can speed up the shutter and open the aperature for fast trains or just low light. And it is five megapixels. ask me if you want to know more, I am a camera salesman and a railfan.

---Vinnie, The Camera Shop Inc., KOP Mall

#82775  by MEC407

"Best" would have to be any of the digital SLRs; for example, the Nikon D70, Canon 20D, etc. Digital SLRs have much better low-light performance than point-and-shoot digitals. The D70, for example, has less "noise" at ISO 1600 than most point-and-shoots have at ISO 200.

#82846  by railohio

And with a DSLR you can add an array of f/1.4 (Or even f/1.0 if you go Canon!) glass for even more low-light range!

#82880  by MEC407

I don't know much about Minolta cameras and lenses, but I've heard that their new DSLR has image stabilization built into the body itself. Therefore, you get image stabilization with any lens you use -- no need to spend extra money on special "IS" or "VR" lenses, a la Canon and Nikon, respectively. That is sure to be a big selling point, and hopefully it will encourage Canon and Nikon to develop something similar.