Railroad Forums 

• Bell from a Steam Locomotive

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#202809  by dunrobin

I have a bell from a Michigan Central RR steam locomotive and I am looking to see if some one else has one. I would like to find out what locomotive it came from . I do not have a road number, but do have a casting number on the bell. The bell was manufactured between 1910 and 1926. The yoke and cradle are unique to MCRR. The casting numbers in the yoke and cradle have MC in them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#209284  by FourTwelveTwo

Don't mean to remove the wind from your sails altogether, but unless you get extremely lucky it's unlikely you'll obtain the individual locomotive number.

You might get the "class level" in which you're able to determine what class the bell was used on, but if NYC was anything at all like Union Pacific bells as well as many (well, most actually) parts moved from loco to loco as engines were shopped.

John
 #209509  by dunrobin

Hi. You are most likely right. I did however find some numbers stamped on the base that are not casting numbers and are corroded to the extent that only half of the numbers are clear. By the hammering on the inside of the bell it looks like it would have been on at least two locomotives or been a switching locomotive. I have narrowed it down to certain types of locomoitves as the yoke and cradle were only used by the MCRR. I did find out the bell was most likely manufactured in 1909. I will keep trying. If not I will still have good conversation piece in the corner of my living room. Thanks.