Railroad Forums 

• Belgian Yard Master seeks employ in USA

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#208770  by koen

Would my Belgian Yard master (3 months course +3 years experience)or Conductor(1 year course + 14 years experience) diploma be accepted in the US?
Any idea ?

Thank you

#209071  by Chris_S68

I'm not too sure about a "diploma". Your experience could certainly help get your foot in the door. With things being a little different in the states, you'll still need to go through the training program(s) of any railroad you might hire on with. Even with experience in the USA, I don't know of any railroads that would simply sit you at a desk or hand you a wheel report and send you on your way without, at least, a modicum of training in their operating methods.

Chris

#209251  by koen

I Understand that things are different and that training is needed. :-D
Now what is or would be a good line(firm) to work on and what area is good to live in ?

Thank you

#209464  by CSX Conductor

Most of the Class I's actually try to avoid hiring people with experience. They feel that people who have never worked in the industry will be easier to "mold". :wink:

#211635  by Engineer

Might make for interesting conversation in an interview, but I wouldn't really think its worth much.

#216190  by Chicagorail1

The Canadian Pacific - SOO Line and Delaware and Hudson Divisions would hire you most defiantly with experience. They prefer to hire experienced people. In fact some guys have even convinced the railroad to grant them vacation time based on there previous allotment on there former railroad. The SOO Line will pay bonus money for guys with experience to hire out with them, depending on there dire need for men with experience in there craft, it has been engineers in the past. They need yardmasters in Bensenville, Il (Chicago Area)in the near future, I guarantee they will hire you with all your experience. Leave me a private message, and I will tell you who to get in contact with.

#217132  by koen

Please let me know .

#217700  by jz441

Hello koen!

I was a locomotive engineer in former Yugoslavia until 1997 when I moved here to the US. I applied at all the railroads that I could find on the internet, and BNSF hired me right a way as a conductor. They certainly appreciated my previous experience. I was required to undergo their 13 week training program, as any other new hire. Three years a go I became an engineer. I have no complaints. Money is very good,… however, US railroaders work by far more hours than Europeans.
Good luck!

#218171  by koen

Thanks ,

You know i dont mind working more only thing is i have a family and kids so would love work (a contract) before leaving Belgium. Was in contact with BNSF but they cant offer contract because i still live in Belgium.
Will see what happends.