Railroad Forums 

• Bel - Del Phillipsburg - Harmony (long)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#113351  by CGRLCDR

Today I visited Easton and Phillipsburg to witness the flooding. I've never seen anything like that before in person. Downtown Easton was closed off due to flooding and the water had just about risen to the bottom of the green "free" suspension bridge. Every once in a while you could hear a loud bang when a piece of junk heading downstream at about 20 MPH hit the bridge.

I walked across the old Lehigh bridge from the remains of the old trainstation in Easton over to Phillipsburg. While crossing, a Norfolk Southern east bound freight train passed. The engineer sounded his horn as a warning, but we exchanged waves as he went past. There were about a half dozen other folks on the bridge and no sign of railroad police at the time. Some of the locals told me that the bridge is one of the main thoroughfares across the river, even for bicycle traffic.

That was the first time I had ever been up there - it was impressive, both the bridge and the flooding. I also managed to get through a hole in the fence and cross the old CNJ bridge in Easton. There's a chainlink fence gate at either end. Although it was fenced off, it looked like the line might have been used in recent history. Does anyone know what or who may cross that bridge and run up the Lehigh River on the CNJ side?

Then I hiked back to my truck and drove over the Phillipsburg. The low roads there were blocked off as well due to flooding. This was about 1 PM this afternoon. The water at that point was about a foot lower than the parking lot at the Bel - Del train station/restaurant. The rescue guys told me that the river is expected to crest at 1 AM Monday morning and rise another 8 - 10 feet.

I walked the Bel - Del ROW north as far as TYCO - I was surprised at what good shape it was in. There was a lot of chicken feed between the ties; it looks like they have a poultry customer north of P'burg. While walking the ROW a south bound high-railer past and the guys waved, but didn't slow down or seem pissed that I was there. I think they were inspecting the ROW for flood damage.

Then I drove north along the ROW on River Road eventually up through Harmony with a side excursion to the river front houses at Harmony Station. Many of the houses were already evacuated, but there were a few families still in the process of moving out. They seemed okay with the whole experience and obviously knew the drill.

The ROW up there is in great shape. In fact, I'll bet it is better now than when it belonged to the PRR. The rails and ties looked fairly new and the ballast looked freshly cleaned and graded. Who runs/owns that line now? They're' doing a great job whoever they are.

I had to turn around north of Harmony because the raod was flooded. There was a whole line of traffic following me and when I turned around I was trying to warm them, but they kept right on driving. When I looked in my rear view mirror I saw they met the same fate as me and were following me back, thinking "now I get it".

The Jersey side was flooded pretty bad, but the PA side was actually much worse. By around mid-night tonight things should be very interesting over there.
Last edited by CGRLCDR on Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#113363  by Lackawanna484

I was a little north of you this afternoon. My wife and I drove out to Tannersville PA (exit 299) to do some shopping.

1) Lackawanna line at Tinkertown Road (about 0.75 mi west of DWG station) was under about three feet of water. Brodhead Creek had backed up from the Delaware River, flooding the right of way, and nearby properties. The line west to Stroud looked OK

2) Lackawanna line at Slateford was under siege, but looked OK. The river is normally about 20 feet below track level, and about 300 feet east. It had risen and engulfed the houses on the river side of old Slateford Road. I expect some of those houses have moved by now. The water was over the road and threatening houses below the right of way

3) NYSW line in the gap was above the water by about five feet, so it may go under later tonight. (I-80 currently occupies the NYSW alignment in NJ)
 #113419  by PTRMgtSvc

CGRLCDR wrote: I also managed to get through a hole in the fence and cross the old CNJ bridge in Easton. There's a chainlink fence gate at either end. Although it was fenced off, it looked like the line might have been used in recent history. Does anyone know what or who may cross that bridge and run up the Lehigh River on the CNJ side?
That is the Odenweiler(SP?) industrial track which serves a plant of the same name which produces (IIRC) industrial heat exchange equipment. Its served by the Black River / Del-Bel.

Did you notice the grade on the ramp down to the lumber yard?

Mike Allen
 #113569  by wis bang

PTRMgtSvc wrote:
CGRLCDR wrote: I also managed to get through a hole in the fence and cross the old CNJ bridge in Easton. There's a chainlink fence gate at either end. Although it was fenced off, it looked like the line might have been used in recent history. Does anyone know what or who may cross that bridge and run up the Lehigh River on the CNJ side?
That is the Odenweiler(SP?) industrial track which serves a plant of the same name which produces (IIRC) industrial heat exchange equipment. Its served by the Black River / Del-Bel.

Did you notice the grade on the ramp down to the lumber yard?

Mike Allen
The plant used to be Ingersoll Rand's "Condenser" division.

Somewhere there is a picture of a conrail loco going down toward the old General Supply lumber yard it is quite steep.

#113961  by MickD

My Brother lives&works in Clinton&he went over to take a look.He mentioned that over in Easton that the water was up to the roof of the gas
station/convenience store across the street from the Best Western.
BRUTAL!!I've stayed in that B/W just for the great view of The Lehigh Valley.He also mentioned the area residents&businesses still haven't got much in the way of emergency aid from the last flood.