Railroad Forums 

• Bangor & Boston RPO

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#812185  by NS VIA FAN

Came across this envelope among my grandmother’s things. It’s a registered letter sent from Westport, Connecticut to Stellarton Nova Scotia in 1958 with a cancellation stamp from the “Bangor & Boston RPO” “Tr 7” I assume this is Train #7......was this the Gull? The timetable I have from a couple of years earlier shows the Gull as Train #23. Train #7 in that timetable went from Portland to Farmington.

The letter continued on and was also stamped on the (CNR) “Halifax & Campbellton RPO” and “Sydney & Truro RPO”......and pretty good service......mailed in Westport on June 30,1958 and arrived in Stellarton on July 2......880 rail miles.

#812240  by Rockingham Racer

Fascinating. Train 7 was the Gull, leaving North Station at 7:45 PM and arriving in Halifax at 6:45 PM [AT], the next day. Ran 6 days/week. Interestingly, it ran express to/from Exeter.
 #812307  by eddiebehr

On June 29, 1958, the B & M issued its last large system timetable, the culmination of major changes that went into effect for various lines on May 18, June 1 and June 29. The Gull out of Boston was renumbered 7 for the 6/29 timetable.
 #812502  by NS VIA FAN

Thanks for the info on the Gull.....was there any equipment running through to Halifax in summer 1958? The next timetable I have is CP’s April 1959. There is a through coach and 6-6-4 sleeper Boston <> Saint John but nothing beyond.....change coaches in Saint John and Moncton.

The 6-6-4 was probably one of the B&M cars that eventually found their way back to the Maritimes on CN.

Here's a shot of CN "Greendale" xB&M Dartmouth College I at Stellarton in 1973. It's the through Sydney-Montreal Sleeper on the Cabot which connected to the Scotian at Truro. I remember you could still read "Boston & Maine" in the letter board above the windows depending on how the sun hit it!

#812536  by eddiebehr

My March, 1954 Official Guide has a B & M timetable revision dated Nov. 2, 1953 and there is a Boston-Halifax 10-1-2 sleeper and another heavyweight to St. John. My October, 1954 Official Guide has 2 Saint John heavyweights only, nothing through to Halifax any longer. So the Halifax sleeper went sometime probably in the first half of 1954 or so. I do have some notices of service and schedule changes issued by
B & M and some other roads, but I'm not up to looking to see if I can find the exact date right now.
 #964299  by bnmjeff

I have a couiple of postcards with Bangor & Boston RPO cancellations from 1906, but can'r figure out how to add pictures to my post..anyone help me?