Railroad Forums 

• Bangor & Aroostook equipment still around

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#978652  by IRON AGE

BAR INSULATED BOXCAR TO BE MOVED TO NEW HOME:

Hello Everyone,

We just bought a BAR boxcar in Searsport, Me. and are moving it about 1-2 miles to our place in Stockton Springs to give us secure storage. 10' x 60', burnt orange with BAR markings still intact, insulated and the number on it is 11040. It's on route 1 around 325 East Main Street Searsport and will possibly be moved on Friday Oct. 14 if anyone is interested in seeing the move. I will have date confirmation tomorrow or Thursday and will let you know. This one will not be cut up.

Francis
Iron Age
 #979408  by mr. mick

Conway Scenic has a BAR State of Maine #2573 which at one time recently,still had the heater, (and it may still have it.)I understand that it is in the process of being repainted. It has been used in the past for at least one of their :Steam in the Snow" promotional trains.

Mr Mick
York ME
 #979450  by Dick H

Here is that BAR State of Maine Car at North Conway.
Photo was taken in the early 90s's by John Simakauskas.

http://www.vistadome.com/trains/newengland/bar2573.jpg

15 plus years of "weathering" at North Conway left it looking
pretty rough. The car was repainted this year and "unveiled"
at the CSRR Railfan's Weekend last month. Almost unbelievably,
I cannot find a photo of it on the web with its 2011 paint job.

Here's a photo taken by Michael Burke in 2010 before the repaint..

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2176476
 #979739  by ericofmaine

mr. mick wrote:Conway Scenic has a BAR State of Maine #2573 which at one time recently,still had the heater, (and it may still have it.)I understand that it is in the process of being repainted. It has been used in the past for at least one of their :Steam in the Snow" promotional trains.

Mr Mick
York ME
Slight correction, the 470 Club owns that car, not Conway Scenic.

Eric
 #1324997  by litz

114 has new wheels, has been converted into an open-air coach, and is back in the consist.

So not exactly a baggage car anymore, but it's a lot better than leaving the property in pieces in a dumpster ...
 #1325608  by bml54

its too bad the bar isn't going to be preserved well see they don't have there last steam loco, don't have a adequate railroad society, and now cmq is in charge it looks like all hope is lost for the remaining equipment in cmq control.
 #1325626  by NHV 669

considering CMQ's goal is to make a profit out of what little they have to work with, I'm not surprised that throwing money at non-revenue-generating-equipment isn't a priority of theirs
 #1325682  by NHV 669

supply and demand.....

while finding a suitable buyer would be nice, I don't think anyone currently around has needs for cars that they'd need to
1. pay a handsome fee for
2. drag to their own camp
3. find space/time/money to dump into a car that likely needs a good bit of work.

I'd imagine with the exception of the CSRX, (who can find better equipment elsewhere) nobody is exceeding passenger capacity/raking in mass profits to perform the above three actions.
 #1325811  by BandA

If they can donate some stuff & the tax write-off is about or above the scrap value...and donate and write-off the value of storage fees for up to 10 years until they are moved, that might work for some museum / tourist operator.