Railroad Forums 

• Baltimore-to-York light rail under review

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#395014  by walt

gprimr1 wrote:That would be great. My concern, growing up in a more suburban ruel area, is that the same strategy used to provide transit in a city won't work, and like I said, it would be a shame to build it and mess up.

I would go for a travel time around the driving time.
As CarterB indicates, this is really "old" technology. There were a number of midwestern interurbans which ran at 70 plus MPH and employed interurban equipment that was very comfortable on long trips. And the distance between Baltimore and York-----or Harrisburg-- would have been considered a short distance to those who operated such midwestern properties as the Cincinnati & Lake Erie RR ( which ran a 240 mile Cincinnati-Detroit run for a while), the Lake Shore Electric etc.

There is, however, the problem also metioned by others of the lack of potential ridership in the area between Timonium and York. Most of the devlopment in Northern Maryland, such as it is, is occuring along the I 95- US Route 40 corridor, and the BRAC process which is slated to bring significant new employment to the Aberdeen - Edgewood area will probably not add much to the I-83 corridor being discussed here.