Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1030345  by Tadman

Per multiple media outlets and their website, the decision has been made to sell ONR, discontinue the Northlander in favor of buses, and "figure out" what to do with the Polar Bear.

http://www.ontarionorthland.ca/images/n ... _chair.pdf

"Since 2003, there have been numerous attempts to put the ONTC on a sustainable path. Unfortunately, these efforts have not delivered a long-term solution. As a result, the province has decided to explore a new direction. It is important to note that that there will be no immediate change to any ONTC service. However, you will be hearing about a number of changes happening at the ONTC over the coming months."

I don't follow Canadian politics much, but I don't know who would've placed a bet in favor of ONR becoming "sustainable" when it provides passenger service and service to isolated areas.

No dates appear to be posted for the adios drumhead, if you've heard anything, please post. I'd like to ride the Northlander once before the end.