Railroad Forums 

• B&M F7A 4265

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#966273  by drvmusic

ericofmaine wrote:
drvmusic wrote:When I was at CSRR last Thursday, 4268 had all side panels removed (what a mess inside!). When I rode the Bartlett Train out (the Maine Central "Mr. Miller" GP-7 pulling) there were people doing work around it and I could see that the side panels, leaning against it, were pretty beat up. I took some pictures and if I get a chance I'll post them here.

4266 was in the yard in between the Notch Train and the Budd Car. It was looking better than I've ever seen it so maybe they're done with the new side panels and paint!
4268 is currently a work in progress. There has been no work done to 4266 at this time.

Eric
Thanks for the update Eric! Well, 4266 sure looked nice last week even if no work has been done :-)

Do you know if there are any plans other than static display for 4268? I'm not that knowledgeable of mechanical stuff, but could it ever be run behind 4266 as a "dummy?"

Thanks again!

-Scott
 #966421  by ericofmaine

drvmusic wrote: Thanks for the update Eric! Well, 4266 sure looked nice last week even if no work has been done :-)
Do you know if there are any plans other than static display for 4268? I'm not that knowledgeable of mechanical stuff, but could it ever be run behind 4266 as a "dummy?"
Thanks again!
-Scott
We've looked into the possibility of a cab control unit to run with 4266, but there are some items that would need to be resolved. For now, it was more just to try to spruce up an eyesore.

Eric
 #966428  by drvmusic

ericofmaine wrote:
drvmusic wrote: Thanks for the update Eric! Well, 4266 sure looked nice last week even if no work has been done :-)
Thanks again!
-Scott
We've looked into the possibility of a cab control unit to run with 4266, but there are some items that would need to be resolved. For now, it was more just to try to spruce up an eyesore.

Eric
You guys do a magnificent job! Glad 4268 is getting a spruce-up. It's a great piece of history! Glad 3 of the 4 are still around!

I enjoy every visit to CSRR and am always in awe walking around the yards and taking the rides. Hoping to take the Notch train next time. I am an HO Scale collector and my favorite engine is my Athearn 4268.

I usually get up there once per summer. Next time I'd love to see 4266 in action (I've only seen it parked or on YouTube). It's by far my favorite engine. Do you publish a schedule of when you are using a particular loco?

Thanks for the insider info. Cool stuff :)

Hey, near the turnaround point of the Bartlett ride we passed some really hollow looking passenger cars. Are those future projects?

-Scott
 #967102  by ericofmaine

drvmusic wrote: You guys do a magnificent job! Glad 4268 is getting a spruce-up. It's a great piece of history! Glad 3 of the 4 are still around!

I enjoy every visit to CSRR and am always in awe walking around the yards and taking the rides. Hoping to take the Notch train next time. I am an HO Scale collector and my favorite engine is my Athearn 4268.

I usually get up there once per summer. Next time I'd love to see 4266 in action (I've only seen it parked or on YouTube). It's by far my favorite engine. Do you publish a schedule of when you are using a particular loco?

Thanks for the insider info. Cool stuff :)

Hey, near the turnaround point of the Bartlett ride we passed some really hollow looking passenger cars. Are those future projects?

-Scott
Thanks. We're trying to catch up on about 10+ years of deferred maintenance.

As for when 4266 is in operation, that is up to Conway Scenic and what their power needs dictate. We simply lease the engine to them. As for those cars near Bartlett, they also belong to Conway Scenic and that question would best be directed towards them.

Thanks,

Eric
 #968292  by ihdavis1

After going through my model train stuff in my dad's basement the other day, I realized that one of the HO engines I had was actually B&M F7A 4265! I vaguely remembered having a B&M engine for my set when I was younger, but never realized until then that it was 4265. It has the solid blue paint scheme. Did the real 4265 ever have this paint scheme, or was it always mintue man style?
 #968298  by MEC407

ihdavis1 wrote:Did the real 4265 ever have this paint scheme, or was it always mintue man style?
It sure did!

Photo:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=2617890
 #968325  by ihdavis1

Hmm, it doesn't look exactly like that. I think it might be closer to the McGuiness era scheme perhaps
 #968614  by drvmusic

I know they're waiting for funding in Gorham, but is there any chance 4265 can re-gain her side panels (where the plywood is)? Are there any in scrapyards maybe that can be raided? Where are the panels that were on her in Billerica? Did they rust away? So cool to have all 3 so close together.
 #968624  by Dick H

The 470 club is in the process of replacing some side panels on'
their B&M 4268 (display unit) at North Conway. I do not know
what specific type of material is used for this work and where
the new fabricated panels come from. Perhaps there is someone
on this list that can supply this information. Assuming there is
some $$$$ available, the same material could be used on the
4265. In the days before RDCs took over the passenger service
to North Conway, does' anyone know if the 4265, 4266 and 4268,
any or all, worked the Conway branch over the years? Thanks...
 #968660  by Reader#108

Well, when I was there in April, I spoke to Reuben and their concentration seemed on getting her sealed up this year completely.

I forwarded some info to him about the panel, but I think that someone has already made them, or has said they will make them.

Eitherway, I look forward to seeing it sealed up....
 #968713  by ericofmaine

Dick H wrote:The 470 club is in the process of replacing some side panels on'
their B&M 4268 (display unit) at North Conway. I do not know
what specific type of material is used for this work and where
the new fabricated panels come from. Perhaps there is someone
on this list that can supply this information. Assuming there is
some $$$$ available, the same material could be used on the
4265. In the days before RDCs took over the passenger service
to North Conway, does' anyone know if the 4265, 4266 and 4268,
any or all, worked the Conway branch over the years? Thanks...
I was pointed in the direction of a GT Fabrication in PA by Otto (thanks again Otto!) that had done some panel work for another organization. They're not exactly the same as the OEM EMD equipment, but they're heavier and thicker and should last a lot longer. If I remember right, 10 panels were in the neighborhood of $3,000. And the best part, they fit!

Eric
 #968957  by Reader#108

Yeah, I think that was the info I passed along to him as well Eric....

anyhow....it is gorgeous up there and I would encourage everyone to go have a look at the

Gorham Historical Society while up leaf peeping....http://www.gorhamnewhampshire.com/railroadmuseum.html
 #1517692  by SSW921

Further research into B&M F7A 4268, ex EMDX #930 has revealed that it was built in March 1949. The Electro-Motive Division Engineering Department had #930 built as a high altitude test unit. The 16V-567B installed in #930 is in number sequence with similar engines installed in #4266-4267. After high altitude testing on Rio Grande's Soldier Summit line the 930 was returned to EMD. It was then painted up in a Burlington passenger scheme and spent time at the 1949 Chicago Railroad Fair. After fair duty it returned to EMD for refurbishment, paint, and sale to the B&M in October 1949. The October 1949 date that is frequently used is the sale date.

See https://archives.nauer.org/archives/BRH ... 00136.html

Ed in Kentucky
 #1519381  by drvmusic

Hi All, wondering if there has been any further action on 4265. I was last in Gorham 2 years ago, and she was looking pretty much the same.

Wonderful work going on with 4268 over in North Conway! Hoping to see her running with her sister 4266 next year at Railfan's Weekend! Wondering what they will do with the body of 1757. Hope they keep it for static display. I kind of like it, and the paint scheme.