Railroad Forums 

• B&M diesel locomotive end-date roster?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1574812  by Benjamin Maggi

I am interested in putting together a timeline of B&M diesel locomotives. In addition to some internet searches, I have several books including the three-part series by Liljestrand & Sweetland; the "Color" book (which I think is Part I) by Plant & Plant, the "Three Colorful Decades" by Robert Jones, and the "Bluebirds" book by Tom Nelligan.

Some of these sources have rosters showing when the engines were ordered/built/delivered, but very few show when the engines were off of the roster. I don't need something so specific as a breakdown for every engine (nor do I think such a document exists), but it would be nice to know when the last engine of the class was sold/scrapped.

Is there a book or other online resource that has this information?

Thanks.
 #1574856  by arthur d.

The B&MRRHS published an all time diesel roster spanning multiple issues of their "B&M Bulletin" in the late seventies.
Not certain but I think too that JBVB has a similar list online.
 #1574970  by arthur d.

The BMRRHS roster spanned five issues, beginning with the Fall 1977 issue and running to the Fall 1978 issue.

JBVB's roster can be found at faracresfarm.com/jbvb/rr/bmrr/dieselde.html
 #1575482  by jbvb

I doubt the BMRRHS will have back issues from 1977/8. There are several paper dealers with New England focus. Alden Dreyer has in the past maintained a stock of all B&M Bulletin back issues but that may have changed in the past couple of years.

I have those issues myself, so I could add "last unit active" numbers and dates to my B&M Diesel Roster, as I have in my Steam Roster. An update is in progress, we'll see how it progresses vs. other demands on my time.
 #1575510  by Benjamin Maggi

I have started to purchase the Bulletins from EBay, so soon enough I will (hopefully) have that information. Thank you for your offer, and your website IS very helpful!