Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#243994  by Terry Kennedy

At Grove St. eastbound on Saturday afternoon, I noticed that there were new gray devices attached to the ties, centered between the rails, by each of the stop markers. There are no wires leading to them, so they're either magnetic or passive-electronic devices. There was writing in orange spray paint by each one, which what looked like "BT7" at the 7-car marker one.

There weren't any at the east end of the westbound track. I was unable to investigate if these had been installed at the west end of the westbound track or in any other stations.

I suspect automation (or at least an automation test) is coming to PATH soon...

#244442  by 7 to Main St

It's probably for when the PA-5's come that they can start automation or something.

#244647  by arrow

Maybe they are to revamp the PathVision system so that it is able to show where the trains are again. Maybe we will have something like the Washington Metro has, it's great since it shows the exact amount of time before the next train arrives for various lines. The MTA has also said it has invested in this technology and that it will be implemented soon.
 #249480  by Terry Kennedy

Terry Kennedy wrote:At Grove St. eastbound on Saturday afternoon, I noticed that there were new gray devices attached to the ties, centered between the rails, by each of the stop markers. There are no wires leading to them, so they're either magnetic or passive-electronic devices. There was writing in orange spray paint by each one, which what looked like "BT7" at the 7-car marker one.
These are no longer there, though the spray painted markers remain. Either it was a brief test or somebody got nervous that these were noticed... :wink:

#257975  by The Workers

I suspect automation (or at least an automation test) is coming to PATH soon...
Yes, you've figured it out! The entire system will be completely automated by 2008. All engineers & conductors will be fired immediately and the trains will no longer be powered by electricity. Ignore the bright orange spraypaint next to any odd new equipment in the tunnels and don't let the employees know either!

Correct answer: Cab signal installation.