Railroad Forums 

• Article on Bath "Special Locomotive" EL RS3 rebuild

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1446034  by Fireman43

Article in the Steuben County Courier Advocate Newspaper Sept 30 concerning a person seeking information on what she refers to as a one of a kind "special'" locomotive built in partial in the Hornel Shops and had been used exclusively i believe in the Horsehead area yards . Article had a picture of the engine plus crew ( one was her relative) and was seeking more information.
For the life of me i cant find digital version of this specific article. Curious as to more information on this unit.

Anyone have better success finding this article and back ground would be appreciated.

thanks Mark
 #1446067  by Cactus Jack

I wonder if it was the EL 1060

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el1060ago.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This locomotive started out as an Alco RS-3 and was rebuilt with EMD components into a "one of a kind" for EL about 1975. It worked close to home mainly in the Corning / Gang Mills area.
 #1446123  by DutchRailnut

conrail did entire fleet of repowers labeled RS3m or Dewitt Alco's they were recognizable by two EMD stacks and electric cooling fans .
the repowering was done with 12/567 engines from retired E units .

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locopi ... ?id=168488" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ex-ERIE 1027 reblt w/EMD 567 from E8. to CR 9998
CR 9998(RS3M) EL 1060(RS3M)
 #1446162  by scottychaos

Article in the paper can be seen here:

https://issuu.com/steubencourier/docs/s ... er_10_1_17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's EL 1060, EL's only RS3M rebuild, built at the Hornell shops in 1975, with an EMD prime mover from a EL E-unit.

Scot
 #1446185  by DutchRailnut

picture is to small to read but 1060 was rebuild at de witt, not hornell and conrail did like 60 or so . several still in service.
one at housatonic railroad, other one at Danbury railway museum.
 #1446201  by Noel Weaver

I don't think any undertaking of this scope took place at Hornell because Conrail did not take any part of the shop at Hornell leaving it to the estate of the Erie Lackawanna to dispose of. The project was started by Penn Central at Dewitt but I think Conrail did most if not all of the work at Altoona.
Noel Weaver
 #1446236  by lvrr325

Noel Weaver wrote:I don't think any undertaking of this scope took place at Hornell because Conrail did not take any part of the shop at Hornell leaving it to the estate of the Erie Lackawanna to dispose of. The project was started by Penn Central at Dewitt but I think Conrail did most if not all of the work at Altoona.
Noel Weaver
There are literally dozens of publications covering the EL Hornell locomotive shop and what work was done there. The wrecked and burned CNJ SD40 was even in line for rebuild to become an EL unit, but time ran out before they got to it. MK and General Electric did work there after it wasn't included in Conrail because they already had multiple heavy rebuild shops for locomotives.

One thing's sure, Penn Central didn't rebuild any RS2/3 units for the EL.