Railroad Forums 

• Arkansas Lime Company

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#166197  by MR77100

Does anyone know if the Arkansas Lime Company has been standard-gauged yet? I videotaped this operation in 1995 and it was still narrow gauge.
 #262466  by The Arkansas Traveler

I was at Arkansas Lime Co. in the summer of 2004. The had been standard gauge but I did find the remains of the narrow gauge equipment. I also got to the Lyon College library in 2004 and when over there collection on the company. I wrote the article in Light Iron Digest after that visit. We move to Northern Arkansas in January 2005 and settled in the Mountain Home area about hour and a half drive north east of Batesville. I returned to Arkansas Lime in the fall of 2005 and all the narrow gauge was being removed. The loader was gone and the cars were in a pile. There was a guy from Colorado looking over the GE 25 ton engine. I don't know if he bought it or not. They have added a lot more trackage since standard gaugeing the line and was cleaning up the property so I doubt that anything is left of the narrow gauge there. However it's still an interesting operation. I only wish I got to see it when it was still running the narrow gauge. I'd like to see a copy of your video on the company. I have some video taken by some friends in the 1990's. I also have video on palmento brick in Carolina. It is still running narrow gauge. I hope to get to see it one day. I post opictures on the Fotki site. I'll post links later if you all are interested
Regards BILL

#282904  by Bartman-tn

I used to visit the operation a great deal in the 1980s and wrote the article for Trains that was published in the early 1990s.

The line was standard gaged and the equipment was then made available for sale. I was offered some of it but didn't have the $3500 to by a rock car.

Just about all of the narrow gage equipment is gone now.

Bart Jennings

#282952  by The Arkansas Traveler

Hi Bart,
I think I have a copy of your article. As of 2005 it is still a good operation but it has lost a lot of it's charm being now standard gauge. I sadly never got to see it in narrow gauge like you did. As stated I now live in the Mountain Home area about 1 1/2 hour drive away so I can easly go there and would gladly go. It's still a neat place and still pretty friendly. Do you have unpublished pictures of it from your visits. If so I'd love to see them. Also do you know about the Lyon's Libary collection. I went there a copied a bunch of early pictures etc of the operation. Also I have the article from Slim Gauge News in my collection. If you haven't seen it or have it I could make a copy for you. I would have loved to buy the little GE 25 ton but like you beyond what I could afford. My personal e-mail is [email protected] if you'd like to contact me off list.
Regards BILL