Railroad Forums 

• Architectural Digest Article: 6 Incredible Train Stations Turned Into Hotels

• Tell us where you were and what you saw!
Tell us where you were and what you saw!

Moderator: David Benton

#1622985  by Jeff Smith

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/gal ... hotels/amp
With vaulted ceilings, Tiffany stained glass, and gold medallions, these stunning properties artfully preserve the golden age of railroading

When the transcontinental railroad system first opened in 1869, there was nothing quite like it. Connecting America’s West Coast to the eastern seaboard, the monumental tracks ushered in a golden age of railroads. Over 150 years later, train stations turned into hotels keep this spirit of exploration alive. Though cars and planes have aged society out of the generalized need for trains, the infrastructure for these rail cars remains a stunning human creation. With many built between 1880 and 1920, the stations prominently display many of the more intricate and ornamental aesthetics of the era, like Greek and Roman revival, Art Deco, and French Renaissance. And by transforming these incredible structures into hotels, not only is a building saved from demolition or abandonment, but the beauty and vibrancy of a bygone era is preserved. Here, AD visits six stunning train stations turned into hotels that showcase the lasting impact of reimagining and reusing.

-The Crawford Hotel (Denver)
-St. Louis Union Station Hotel (St. Louis)
-Union Station Hotel Nashville (Nashville)
-Canfranc Estación (Canfranc, Spain)
-Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Downtown Union Station (Indianapolis)
-Radisson Lackawanna Station Hotel Scranton (Scranton)
 #1622987  by Gilbert B Norman

The Nashville Union Station is part of the Marriott Autograph Collection and can run $1000ni, such as when someone is in town "twanging his steel guitar".

Even neighbors of mine who went there for a Vanderbilt college visit "who don't have to even think about that stuff called $$$", said "too much". They "settled" for a Four Seasons.

For me, I have friends there (not for their ears, but if not for they, you'd never catch me near the place even though they have a renowned Symphony Orchestra), a $175ni Express, or Hampton X the street, in Antioch is good enough.

I've stayed at the St Louis Union Station (presently managed by Hilton - it's been through all the major brands - and dubbed "Curio Collection") during '10, which was "good enough" with rates that "didn't knock me over". I've also stayed there during '62 when it had the Terminal Hotel with rates @ $3.00 per nite (cash only; please sign the register).
 #1623166  by John_Perkowski

My wife and I stay at the St Louis Union Station Hilton when we are in town. They’re working hard to make the property grand and coherent. At the holidays, it’s a true wonderland for a certain six year old young lady I know! It’s a solid property.