Railroad Forums 

• Anyone work for the EJ&E? They called me back..

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#186384  by JasonA

I applied for a signal maintainer almost 3 months ago. Today they called me and left a message for me to call them back. Should talk to them tomorrow. Anyone here ever work for them? Not sure if I am going to take the job, or even what job they are going to offer.

On the signal job, anyone here ever do that type of job?

#186417  by thebigc

When I hired out as a Trainman, I got to talking to an old timer who was taking a back to work book-of-rules and he told me to either go into train service or C&S (signal maintainer). He said they're the best gigs on the RR. After 19 years as a Trainman, I have to agree.

#186453  by JasonA

I just talked to EJ&E. He was pushing me towards a carman, since I have several welding certifications, but he also said I could apply for the signalmans job. The carman started out at $15 an hour while the signal job was $18.36 an hour to start. I am more than qualified for the carman job, but I am not sure on the signalmans job. The only issue is that they want me to come in tomorrow for testing, which is about a day's notice. I would rather take the signalmans job, but I am not sure I am qualified.

Now I don't know what to do.

#186457  by jg greenwood

JasonA wrote:I just talked to EJ&E. He was pushing me towards a carman, since I have several welding certifications, but he also said I could apply for the signalmans job. The carman started out at $15 an hour while the signal job was $18.36 an hour to start. I am more than qualified for the carman job, but I am not sure on the signalmans job. The only issue is that they want me to come in tomorrow for testing, which is about a day's notice. I would rather take the signalmans job, but I am not sure I am qualified.

Now I don't know what to do.
He who hesitates is lost. Go for it!