Railroad Forums 

• any pictures of slumbercoach interiors?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#750410  by Rtrain

anyone have any pictures or even drawings of a slumbercoach interior? pre-amtrak or not, doesn't matter.

thanks.
 #750527  by John_Perkowski

Ask and ye shall receive...

Here's an article found on the Southeastern Railway Museum (Duluth, GA) website:
http://www.srmduluth.org/Exhibits/SlumberCoaches.pdf

They have ex NYC 108008 Loch Arkraig, a 1959 Budd 24-8 product.

Please note the limit on further use of the article; contact NRHS first.
 #751058  by CarterB

Rode the slumbercoaches many times on the Broadway and Silver Meteor. Great for a growing family. Wife and I usually booked the double slumber and either same for the two kids or one each single, since they liked having their 'own room'.
Meal service was 'on your own' but never a problem getting seated in the Dining Car.

I found the slumbercoaches quite comfortable, and certainly very reasonably priced.

Only thing I liked better, for the price, was some early Amtrak 'single rooms' which Amtrak priced same as roomette. The Empire Builder sported a dome with those types of rooms early on in Amtrak.

I miss them!!!

When in Europe, to this day, I mostly booked their version of the slumbercoach ...the Couchette or Liegewagen. Never ever have had a problem nor an 'uncomfortable' moment.
 #751138  by John_Perkowski

The Single Bedroom is actually a leftover accommodation from the Heavyweight era. It was the original 6' sofa that converted into a berth, but had no upper. Only with the streamline era did Pullman get the idea to hang an upper berth and sell the Double Bedroom as a smaller, less expensive alternate to the Compartment.

One time in 1977 or so, there was one of those cars on 3/4 while the Pleasure Dome was in the shop. My roomette became a single BR :)